President Aliyev lays out Azerbaijan’s reconstruction and energy strategy
President Ilham Aliyev said Azerbaijan has developed “a unique experience in how to build cities and villages from scratch” while highl...
Five people have been killed in Israeli air strikes on southern Lebanon, including three emergency responders who rushed to help victims of an earlier blast, according to Lebanese officials.
The strikes targeted a building in the town of Majdal Zoun on Tuesday. Authorities said the second strike followed shortly after the first, hitting as rescue teams were already at the scene.
A spokesperson for the Lebanese Civil Defence said the three rescuers were caught in the second strike. They were initially trapped beneath collapsed concrete and were later declared dead.
The Lebanese Armed Forces reported that two soldiers were also injured in the same strike, while there was no immediate response from the Israel Defense Forces when asked for comment.
Meanwhile, a Lebanese soldier and his brother were killed in an Israeli strike in Bint Jbeil in southern Lebanon, the Lebanese army said on Wednesday.
It said the pair were on a motorcycle, travelling from the soldier's post to his home when the strike occurred.
The Israeli military said it was looking into the report.
Separately, the Israeli military said a contractor working for an engineering company on behalf of Israel's defence ministry was killed on Tuesday in southern Lebanon in a drone attack claimed by Hezbollah.
The group fired two rockets into Israel on Wednesday, one of which was intercepted, the military said. There were no reports of casualties.
Lebanon’s Prime Minister, Nawaf Salam, criticised the strikes, describing them as “a new and blatant war crime committed by Israel.”
The United Nations Human Rights Office said last month that Israeli air strikes affecting civilians in Lebanon, including medical workers, could potentially be classified as war crimes.
The latest incident reflects ongoing tensions between Israel and Lebanon, where cross-border violence has intensified in recent months.
Since early March, more than 2,500 people have reportedly been killed in Israeli strikes across Lebanon, including medics, women and children.
The escalation followed attacks by the Iran-backed group Hezbollah on Israeli positions, triggering a broader Israeli military response involving both air and ground operations.
A ceasefire supported by the U.S. has reduced the overall level of fighting. However, both Israel and Hezbollah continue to accuse each other of breaching the agreement.
Israeli troops remain stationed in parts of southern Lebanon and have warned civilians not to return. Air strikes have also been reported outside this zone, including the latest attack on Majdal Zoun.
Last week, a Lebanese journalist was killed in a separate strike in the south. Lebanese officials and media groups said continued bombardment had delayed rescue teams trying to reach the site.
Hezbollah has continued to launch drones and rockets towards Israeli troops in Lebanon and areas in northern Israel.
Earlier on Tuesday, the Israeli military said it had located and dismantled tunnels in southern Lebanon that it said were used by Hezbollah.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
Azerbaijan and Georgia have agreed to resume daily passenger train services on the Baku-Tbilisi-Baku route from 26 May, 2026, marking a major step in restoring regional rail connectivity after services were suspended in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Israeli forces intercepted dozens of Gaza-bound aid vessels in the eastern Mediterranean on Monday (18 May), prompting condemnation from the United Nations and Türkiye, while flotilla organisers said several ships continued sailing toward Gaza despite the operation.
Pakistan has deployed around 8,000 troops, fighter jets and air defence systems to Saudi Arabia under a mutual defence agreement, according to security officials and government sources familiar with the arrangement.
Uzbekistan has reported new fraud cases linked to employment in South Korea as investigators continue examining a wider migration corruption scheme estimated to have caused up to $90 million in losses.
When 36 nations signed up to prosecute Russia over its invasion of Ukraine, Georgia - a country partly occupied by Russia - declined to join. Tbilisi blamed strained relations with the EU. Critics blamed the government itself.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment