Pakistan carries out cross-border strikes in Afghanistan
Pakistan said it carried out cross-border strikes on militant targets inside Afghanistan after blaming a series of recent suicide bombings, including ...
Pope Leo said on Thursday he hopes to travel to Türkiye later this year for the 1,700th anniversary of a major Christian Church summit, in what would be the first foreign trip of his papacy.
The early centuries of Christianity were marked by a lively debate about how Jesus could be both God and man, and the Church decided on the issue at the First Council of Nicaea - now known as Iznik in Turkey - in 325.
I hope to be able to meet you again, in a few months, to take part in the ecumenical commemoration of the anniversary of the Council of Nicaea," Pope Leo said in an audience with Orthodox and Catholic pilgrims from the United States.
The pilgrims visited Leo at his summer residence in Castel Gandolfo, near Rome, before continuing their journey to Istanbul.
There is considerable hope that Pope Leo will continue to nurture the “dialogue of love” shared by Catholics and Orthodox over the past six decades. Relations between the Vatican and the Phanar flourished in recent years due to the extraordinary friendship of Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew and the late Pope Francis.
The visit today by Archbishop Elpidophoros and Cardinal Tobin sets the stage for the new Pope’s upcoming trip to Nicaea in late November, where he is expected to meet with Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew and visit the Phanar for the Feast of St. Andrew.
Earlier this month, the Turkish presidency said the pontiff had told Turkish First Lady Emine Erdogan about his intention to visit her country.
Leo, elected on 8th May following the death of Pope Francis, has not yet embarked on any foreign travels.
Francis had been planning to go to Turkey to celebrate the anniversary of the Nicaea Council with Patriarch Bartholomew, the spiritual leader of the Eastern Orthodox Church.
In May, after visiting Leo at the Vatican, Bartholomew told the Italian bishops' TV2000 broadcaster that a possible date for the pope's Turkish trip was November 30.
First Ecumenical Council of Nicaea
The 1700th Anniversary of the First Ecumenical Council of Nicaea marks a momentous occasion for the global Christian community, commemorating a foundational event in the history of Christian doctrine.
Convened in 325 AD, the Council affirmed the divinity of Christ and established the Nicene Creed—an enduring symbol of unity among Christians.
This anniversary celebration brings together Orthodox, Catholic, and Protestant traditions in a spirit of reflection, dialogue, and shared prayer. It serves as a call to renew the commitment to Christian unity, echoing the conciliar spirit of the first ecumenical gathering.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
A seven-month-old Japanese macaque has captured global attention after forming an unusual but heart-warming bond with a stuffed orangutan toy following abandonment by its mother.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of on Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Iran announced on Saturday that it has designated the naval and air forces of European Union member states as “terrorist entities” in a reciprocal move after the EU blacklisted the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).
At least 10 people were killed and 50 wounded in Israeli strikes in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley on Friday (20 February), two security sources told Reuters, after the Israeli military said it had targeted Hezbollah sites in the Baalbek area.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on Saturday (21 February) dismissed U.S. claims that 32,000 civilians were killed during protests in Iran. He said Tehran has already released official figures and called for evidence to support any higher estimates.
Uzbekistan's president Shavkat Mirziyoyev has held a series of high-level meetings in the U.S. aimed at strengthening bilateral economic and strategic ties between the two countries.
Türkiye has signalled readiness to contribute to a proposed Gaza stabilisation force during the inaugural Board of Peace meeting on Thursday (19 February), but according to former Turkish diplomat Mehmet Öğütçü, the decisive factor will be whether Israel and the United States agree on Ankara’s role.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment