Macron and Aliyev discuss bilateral ties and South Caucasus peace efforts
President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev held a telephone conversation with French President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday (21 May), with both leaders di...
The UK has officially banned the sale of disposable vapes as of Sunday, aiming to curb youth usage, reduce environmental waste, and stop the spread of harmful chemicals.
A nationwide ban on disposable vapes came into force across the United Kingdom on Sunday, marking a significant step in the government’s effort to address rising youth vaping, environmental concerns, and chemical pollution.
Under the new law, retailers - both online and physical stores - are now prohibited from selling disposable vapes, regardless of whether they contain nicotine. However, reusable vape devices remain legal and available for purchase.
The ban follows growing concerns about the popularity of disposable vapes among school-aged children and the environmental toll of improper disposal. Authorities estimate that up to 5 million disposable vapes are discarded in the UK every week, most ending up in landfills or as street litter rather than being recycled.
The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said the move was essential to stop the “alarming rise” in youth vaping and to tackle the growing issue of e-waste. “This ban will put an end to their alarming rise in school playgrounds and the avalanche of rubbish flooding the nation’s streets,” the department stated.
The UK joins a growing number of countries tightening regulations on vaping. Australia implemented some of the world’s toughest vaping restrictions last year, and Belgium became the first European nation to ban disposable vapes entirely in early 2025. In the U.S., California continues to lead with strict vaping laws.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Day four of the World Urban Forum (WUF) in Baku brings a packed agenda on sustainable cities and the global housing crisis, with sessions on green housing, smart cities, public spaces and urban rights taking place on Wednesday (20 May) at Baku Olympic Stadium in Azerbaijan.
At least 21 people have been killed and thousands evacuated after torrential rain triggered flooding, landslides and transport disruption across southern and central China, with authorities warning that more heavy rainfall is expected along the Yangtze River.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya warned on Tuesday (19 May) that Moscow could retaliate against Baltic states if Ukraine launches military drones from that region. Latvia, the United States and Ukraine responded strongly during a UN Security Council meeting.
A luxury polar expedition vessel linked to a hantavirus outbreak has arrived in Rotterdam, where health authorities have placed the final 27 people on board into quarantine and have begun containment measures.
Medical teams are being rushed to eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) following a fast-moving Ebola outbreak that has already caused dozens of suspected deaths and raised fears of wider regional spread.
The World Health Organisation’s designation of the Bundibugyo Ebola virus outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) is a stark reminder that Ebola remains a persistent global health threat rather than a disease of the past.
The risk from hantavirus to the general public remains very low, and the U.S. Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has more than 100 staff members actively working on the outbreak, a governmental health official said on Wednesday.
A Dutch hospital has quarantined 12 staff members as a preventive measure after blood and urine from a hantavirus patient were handled without observing strict protocols, according to officials, as medics around the world work to stop the spread of the outbreak.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment