live Trump says attack on Iran was paused, signals possible nuclear deal- Middle East conflict
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday that he had paused a planned attack on Iran after Tehran sent a peace proposal to Washington. He said th...
A luxury polar expedition vessel linked to a hantavirus outbreak has arrived in Rotterdam, where health authorities have placed the final 27 people on board into quarantine and have begun containment measures.
The Dutch-flagged MV Hondius is set to undergo full disinfection after docking on Monday, following an incident that has left three people dead and several others infected during the voyage.
Authorities confirmed that the ship was carrying around 150 passengers and crew from 23 countries when severe respiratory illnesses were first reported to the World Health Organisation (WHO) on 2 May.
Health officials say eight confirmed and two probable cases have been identified on board, according to the WHO.
Three passengers have died. The bodies of a Dutch couple have already been repatriated, while a German passenger is to be cremated in the Netherlands before her ashes are returned home.
Officials said the situation is being closely monitored, but stressed the overall public health risk remains low.
Dutch health authorities moved to reassure the public as the ship arrived in port.
“There is no risk for Rotterdam and no risk in that sense,” said Tjalling Leenstra, Head of the National Coordination Centre for Communicable Disease Control at the RIVM public health institute.
He added that all those who may have been exposed are now under monitoring or quarantine.
The MV Hondius, operated by Oceanwide Expeditions, will undergo a full sanitation process expected to take up to a week.
Officials said specialist teams in protective clothing will clean all surfaces, including ventilation systems, and assess each cabin individually.
“Cabins of people who tested positive would be considered high-risk areas,” said RIVM spokesperson Coen Berends.
The outbreak involves the Andes strain of hantavirus, which is primarily found in parts of South America and is typically spread by rodents. Human-to-human transmission is considered rare but possible after close contact.
Health authorities emphasised that incubation can last up to six weeks and that there is no specific treatment for the infection.
The WHO said the situation should not be compared to the COVID-19 pandemic, reiterating that the broader public health threat remains low.
The vessel had previously been stranded near Cape Verde after authorities refused permission for passengers to disembark.
Evacuation operations were coordinated with the WHO and European authorities, with Spain involved in managing transfers via the Canary Islands before the ship continued to Rotterdam with a reduced crew and medical staff.
Passengers and crew exposed during the voyage are now being monitored across several countries as tracing efforts continue.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
The World Urban Forum (WUF) opens this week in Baku, Azerbaijan, bringing together governments, city leaders, urban planners, researchers and civil society to exchange ideas on how cities can become more inclusive, resilient and sustainable.
Medical teams are being rushed to eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) following a fast-moving Ebola outbreak that has already caused dozens of suspected deaths and raised fears of wider regional spread.
The World Health Organisation’s designation of the Bundibugyo Ebola virus outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) is a stark reminder that Ebola remains a persistent global health threat rather than a disease of the past.
The risk from hantavirus to the general public remains very low, and the U.S. Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has more than 100 staff members actively working on the outbreak, a governmental health official said on Wednesday.
A Dutch hospital has quarantined 12 staff members as a preventive measure after blood and urine from a hantavirus patient were handled without observing strict protocols, according to officials, as medics around the world work to stop the spread of the outbreak.
The European Union is preparing sweeping new regulations targeting the addictive design features of major social media platforms, including TikTok, Meta and X, amid mounting evidence linking their use to serious mental health harm among children and teenagers.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment