Zelenskyy rejects EU “associate membership” proposal
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected a German proposal to grant Ukraine “associate” membership of the European Union, warning it w...
Johnson & Johnson (J&J) is facing its first lawsuits in the United Kingdom over claims that its talc-based products cause cancer, as it continues to battle tens of thousands of similar cases in the United States.
The case was filed at the English High Court on Tuesday against J&J and Kenvue UK Limited, a subsidiary of Kenvue, J&J’s former consumer health division, which was spun off in 2023.
Law firm KP Law said it had brought the claim on behalf of more than 3,000 people who allege they developed ovarian cancer, mesothelioma, or other illnesses after using J&J’s baby powder between 1965 and 2023.
The firm argues that J&J’s talc products contained carcinogenic fibres, including asbestos, which has been linked to mesothelioma. J&J has consistently denied these allegations, insisting its talc products are safe and asbestos-free.
J&J referred all queries to Kenvue, stating that the latter “retained responsibility and any potential liability for talc-related litigation outside the United States and Canada.” Kenvue, for its part, maintained that J&J’s baby powder “did not contain asbestos and does not cause cancer.”
The company is already facing tens of thousands of lawsuits in the U.S., where claimants say they developed cancer after using J&J’s talc-based products. J&J halted sales of its talc baby powder in the U.S. in 2020, replacing it with a cornstarch-based alternative, and did the same in the U.K. in 2023.
Its attempts to resolve the lawsuits through bankruptcy have been rejected three times by U.S. federal courts. Last week, J&J was ordered to pay $966 million to the family of a woman who died from mesothelioma, one of the largest awards against the company, though it may be reduced on appeal.
While U.S. courts can issue large punitive damages, English courts generally limit compensation to actual losses suffered, with exemplary damages only awarded in rare cases of deliberate wrongdoing.
KP Law valued the collective claim at around £1 billion ($1.34 billion). Unlike in the U.S., the case will be decided by a judge rather than a jury. Kenvue said it believes the judge will conclude that its talc-based baby powder does not cause cancer.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 22nd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
The World Health Organisation has warned that the risk of a widening Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has escalated to “very high” at national level.
A luxury polar expedition vessel linked to a hantavirus outbreak has arrived in Rotterdam, where health authorities have placed the final 27 people on board into quarantine and have begun containment measures.
Medical teams are being rushed to eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) following a fast-moving Ebola outbreak that has already caused dozens of suspected deaths and raised fears of wider regional spread.
The World Health Organisation’s designation of the Bundibugyo Ebola virus outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) is a stark reminder that Ebola remains a persistent global health threat rather than a disease of the past.
The risk from hantavirus to the general public remains very low, and the U.S. Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has more than 100 staff members actively working on the outbreak, a governmental health official said on Wednesday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment