Ukraine and allies boycott Paralympics opening over Russia and Belarus athletes
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 Mar...
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has stated that a potential operation targeting Iran’s Supreme Leader would "end the conflict" rather than escalate it, framing the strategy as a path to resolution rather than provocation.
Speaking to ABC News anchor Jonathan Karl in an exclusive interview, Netanyahu commented on reports that Israel had considered a plan to strike Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. U.S. officials told Reuters that President Donald Trump had rejected the proposal, citing concerns it could intensify the conflict.
Netanyahu disagreed. "It's not going to escalate the conflict. It's going to end the conflict," he said.
Earlier in the interview, the Israeli leader criticised previous diplomatic efforts with Iran, claiming they were undermined by Tehran’s continued hostility.
"We gave it a chance. We clenched our teeth," Netanyahu said.
"But even during negotiations with the United States, Iran's supreme leader tweeted 'death to Israel' almost every day. The talks were merely a facade."
When asked directly whether Israel was planning to target Khamenei, Netanyahu declined to confirm details.
"Look, we're doing what we need to do. I'm not going to get into the details."
The interview comes in the wake of Israel’s 13 June operation, which reportedly targeted senior Iranian military figures and nuclear infrastructure. Iran responded with a series of missile attacks, marking one of the most intense escalations between the two countries in years.
The U.S. administration has called for restraint while reaffirming its support for Israel’s security. Trump’s decision to block the reported operation against Khamenei reflects an effort to prevent broader regional destabilisation.
Meanwhile, Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi told four European counterparts that Iran was serious about diplomacy but its current focus was on confronting aggression, Iranian state media reported. Israel has said its goal is to eliminate Tehran's ability to develop a nuclear weapon.
Iran denies seeking nuclear weapons and has pointed to its right to nuclear technology for peaceful purposes, including enrichment, as a party to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.
Sources told Reuters that Tehran had asked Oman, Qatar and Saudi Arabia to press Trump to use his influence on Netanyahu to push for an immediate ceasefire.
In return, Iran would show flexibility in nuclear negotiations, said the two Iranian and three regional sources.
Tehran says more than 224 Iranians have been killed since Friday (13 June), most of them civilians. Israel says 24 people have been killed, all of them civilians.
Israel is preparing for the possibility of receiving a green light from the United States to launch strikes against Iran’s ballistic missile system, according to Israel’s public broadcaster KAN.
Aghdam’s Qarabag FK experienced a 6–1 defeat to England’s Newcastle United in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League play-off tie in Azerbaijan's capital Baku Wednesday evening (18 February).
U.S. President Donald Trump’s 'Board of Peace' will hold its first leaders’ meeting on Thursday (19 February) in Washington, D.C., launching an initiative aimed at stabilising Gaza and addressing global conflicts. It's drawn support from regional powers but refusals from several EU countries.
The Board of Peace will be "looking over the United Nations," said U.S. President Donald Trump at the inaugural Washington meeting, where representatives from over 20 countries gathered to unveil plans for Gaza’s reconstruction and coordinate international support.
Russian President Vladimir Putin met Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez in the Kremlin on Wednesday, telling him that new restrictions imposed on the communist-run island were unacceptable.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
The United States and international partners have announced billions of dollars in pledges to rebuild Gaza but many Palestinians remain sceptical about whether the funds will translate into tangible improvements for daily life.
The U.S. Supreme Court has struck down President Trump's sweeping tariffs on Friday (20 February), which he imposed under a law intended for national emergencies.
The former Prince Andrew’s brief arrest on Thursday (19 February) has highlighted the challenges of prosecuting alleged misconduct in public office, with potential implications for the British monarchy’s public role, according to political analyst Nuno Wahnon Martins.
Spain’s Constitutional Court has rejected an appeal by the father of a 25‑year‑old woman who opposed her right to euthanasia, clearing the way for the procedure to go ahead, the court said on Friday (20 February).
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment