Australia condemns Israel over closure of Gaza aid worker case
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom ...
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is reportedly preparing for a full military takeover of the Gaza Strip, with reports suggesting a final decision has already been made and implementation plans will be discussed at a key war cabinet meeting on Tuesday.
Israeli media outlets, including Channel 12 and i24NEWS, are reporting that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has decided to seize full control of the Gaza Strip in what could mark a dramatic escalation in the ongoing conflict. Citing senior officials within the prime minister’s office, the reports say the war cabinet will convene on Tuesday to finalise the military strategy for expanding operations across all areas of Gaza.
The stated objective, according to these reports, is to extend Israel’s military campaign into remaining parts of the enclave, including areas believed to be harbouring Hamas fighters and Israeli hostages.
Speaking at a cabinet meeting on Monday, Netanyahu reaffirmed his government’s war aims.
“We must continue to stand together and fight together to achieve all our war objectives: the defeat of the enemy, the release of our hostages, and the assurance that Gaza will no longer pose a threat to Israel,” he said in remarks published by his office.
“Later this week, I will convene the cabinet to instruct the IDF on how to achieve these three objectives- all of them, without exception.”
While Netanyahu’s office has not issued an official confirmation of the reported full takeover plan, the Palestinian Foreign Ministry condemned the development, warning of heightened civilian suffering and urging international powers to step in.
Protests and public pressure
Domestically, Netanyahu is facing rising pressure. Demonstrators gathered outside his office in Jerusalem on Monday, calling for an immediate ceasefire, a broad hostage deal, and the cancellation of government efforts to remove Attorney General Gali Baharav-Miara.
Public frustration has grown after videos surfaced showing visibly malnourished Israeli hostages held in Gaza. The footage has sparked outrage and renewed demands for urgent action to bring them home.
Situation in Gaza deteriorates
On the ground, conditions in Gaza continue to worsen. Local medical officials said at least 74 Palestinians were killed on Monday, including many who had been waiting for humanitarian aid.
Israeli airstrikes reportedly resumed near the border following the collapse of ceasefire negotiations. Humanitarian groups warn that Gaza’s civilian population is suffering acutely amid ongoing bombardments, fuel shortages, and restricted access to food and water.
No official comment from Israel
As of now, there has been no formal announcement from Netanyahu’s office regarding the reported decision. The Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) have also not commented publicly on the prospect of a full-scale military takeover.
Both Israel and Hamas continue to deny targeting civilians, but the toll of the months-long war continues to mount, with diplomatic efforts to mediate a truce seemingly at a standstill.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment