At least nine killed in hotel fire in India’s Kolkata
At least nine people were killed, including a child, in a fire at a hotel in India's eastern city of Kolkata o...
North Korea has successfully raised a 5,000-ton naval destroyer that capsized during a failed launch in May.
According to state media, the ship is now upright and docked at Chongjin, a northeastern port city.
The state news agency KCNA said leader Kim Jong Un has ordered the warship’s repairs to be finished by the end of this month. Jo Chun Ryong, a senior official from the ruling Workers’ Party, promised the destroyer will be fully restored without delay.
Kim strongly condemned the failed launch, calling it a “criminal act caused by absolute carelessness.” Four officials have been arrested as part of the investigation.
While the ship suffered damage, KCNA stated last month that inspections showed the harm was not serious. Experts will now examine the hull in more detail.
This warship is North Korea’s second known destroyer, following the unveiling of the Choe Hyon last month. Reports from North Korean media say the destroyer can carry various weapons, including nuclear missiles.
South Korean intelligence analysts suggest the Choe Hyon may have been developed with Russian assistance, possibly linked to North Korean troops supporting Russia’s war efforts in Ukraine.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
At least nine people were killed, including a child, in a fire at a hotel in India's eastern city of Kolkata on Wednesday, local police said.
France is set to expel two Iranian diplomats in response to what Paris has described as a “deliberate assault” on two French embassy staff in Tehran last month, escalating tensions between the two countries.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment