Trump: Airspace above and surrounding Venezuela to be closed
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday that the airspace above and surrounding Venezuela should be considered "closed in its entirety", but gave...
President Donald Trump ended his Gulf tour with announcements of major U.S.-UAE cooperation on AI semiconductors and energy, reinforcing economic ties amid broader regional developments.
President Donald Trump concluded a four-day tour of Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on Friday, highlighting a series of high-value agreements between the U.S. and Gulf nations. Among the key outcomes was a preliminary agreement that paves the way for the UAE to purchase advanced AI semiconductors from American firms, supporting Abu Dhabi’s ambition to emerge as a global centre for artificial intelligence.
The AI deal comes as the UAE seeks to balance its longstanding alliance with the United States and its expanding economic partnership with China. The agreement includes provisions that data centres involved in the technology transfer be operated by U.S. companies, reflecting concerns about security and strategic oversight.
President Trump described the agreement as “a very big contract,” adding that it would contribute “billions and billions of dollars in business” and accelerate the UAE’s AI development goals.
Alongside the AI initiative, the UAE announced plans to increase its investments in the U.S. energy sector to $440 billion by 2035, up from $70 billion at present. This commitment was presented by Sultan Al Jaber, CEO of Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC), who also noted reciprocal investments from American energy firms in UAE-based projects. Key U.S. companies involved include ExxonMobil, Occidental Petroleum (Oxy), and EOG Resources.
The trip also marked follow-up actions from a previously announced $1.4 trillion UAE investment framework targeting U.S. sectors such as energy, AI, and manufacturing. A new $14.5 billion deal was confirmed between Etihad Airways and Boeing for the purchase of 28 aircraft.
On the diplomatic front, Trump met with Syria’s interim leader and confirmed the U.S. decision to lift sanctions on the country. This move, supported by Saudi Arabia, enabled an $800 million agreement between Syria and UAE-based DP World to develop the port of Tartous. Trump stated that the policy shift was unilateral and not discussed with Israel.
Commenting on broader regional policy, Trump expressed optimism about future cooperation between Syria and Israel and encouraged Syrian participation in the Abraham Accords. He also noted progress in discussions with Iran regarding a potential nuclear agreement, stating that Tehran had received a U.S. proposal and acknowledged the urgency of negotiations.
At least 47 people have died and another 21 are reported missing following ten days of heavy rainfall, floods, and landslides across Sri Lanka, local media reported on Thursday (27 November).
Hong Kong fire authorities said they expected to wrap up search and rescue operations on Friday after the city's worst fire in nearly 80 years tore through a massive apartment complex, killing at least 128 people, injuring 79 and leaving around 200 still missing.
U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth visited sailors aboard the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier in the Latin American region on Thursday, amid a military buildup by President Donald Trump’s administration that has heightened tensions with Venezuela.
At least 153 people have been killed in Sri Lanka after landslides and flooding caused by Cyclone Ditwah, officials said on Saturday, with 191 others missing and more than half a million affected nationwide.
The Spanish agricultural sector has been placed on high alert following the confirmation that African Swine Fever (ASF) has resurfaced in the country for the first time in over thirty years.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday that the airspace above and surrounding Venezuela should be considered "closed in its entirety", but gave no further details as Washington ramps up pressure on President Nicolas Maduro's government.
China announced a sweeping inspection of fire-safety standards in high-rise buildings nationwide on Saturday after a deadly fire in Hong Kong left at least 128 people dead.
The death toll from floods and landslides following cyclonic rains in the Indonesian island of Sumatra has risen to 303, the head of the country's disaster mitigation agency said on Saturday, up from a previous figure of 174.
Hong Kong on Saturday mourned the 128 people known to have died in a massive fire at a high-rise apartment complex, a toll that is likely to rise with 150 still missing days after the disaster.
The global recall of Airbus A320 aircraft has triggered widespread disruption across several major airlines, forcing flight cancellations in the United States, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment