Azerbaijan launches first-ever WUF13 NGO Forum in Baku
The first-ever “WUF13 NGO Forum” in the history of the World Urban Forum (WUF) was held on 19 May 2026 at Azerbaijan’s initiative...
As Catholic cardinals prepare to elect a new pope following the death of Pope Francis on April 21, a key question arises: will the papacy return to an Italian after nearly 50 years of foreign leadership?
For centuries, Italians dominated the papacy, holding the position unbroken for 455 years until 1978, when Polish-born John Paul II was elected. Since then, the role has passed to German Pope Benedict and Argentine Pope Francis. Now, with the conclave set to begin on May 7, speculation is growing around several Italian candidates, including Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican's Secretary of State; Cardinal Matteo Zuppi of Bologna; and Cardinal Pierbattista Pizzaballa, based in Jerusalem.
Despite Italy’s strong historical ties to the papacy, its influence has declined in recent decades. Italians now make up only 14% of the cardinal electors, compared to 24% in 2013. The Italian vote could be split among multiple candidates, reducing the chance of a united front.
Historian Alberto Melloni pointed out that Italy's failure to back a single candidate in past conclaves contributed to the election of non-Italians. Internal divisions and unwillingness to compromise have often made Italian contenders seem less viable.
Though Italian cardinals avoid openly campaigning, many emphasize that the pope’s origin should matter less than spiritual wisdom. Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco stated that faith and leadership are more important than nationality.
However, a past financial scandal could damage Italy's chances. Cardinal Angelo Becciu, a former top official under Parolin, was dismissed in 2020 and later convicted for financial misconduct involving a London property deal. Although Parolin wasn’t implicated, the scandal has resurfaced, casting a shadow over the Italian bloc. Becciu announced he would not attend the conclave to avoid controversy.
Experts note that the leading Italian candidates have significant international experience, a shift from past traditions. Whether this makes them more acceptable to global cardinals or whether internal tensions will again work against them, remains to be seen in the coming days.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
Germany will deploy a Patriot air-defence battery to Türkiye in the coming weeks as part of a NATO mission aimed at strengthening the alliance’s south-eastern flank, German officials have said.
Estonia said on Tuesday (19 May) that a NATO fighter jet shot down a suspected Ukrainian drone over its territory, in the latest reported airspace violation in the region amid ongoing Ukrainian strikes against Russia.
Sweden has agreed to buy four naval frigates from France’s Naval Group in a deal worth more than $4 billion, as Stockholm moves to strengthen its defence capabilities in the Baltic Sea, Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said on Tuesday.
Spanish police said on Tuesday they had detained a 25-year-old man suspected of killing his two parents and injuring four other people, including his son, in a shooting in the southern city of El Ejido in Almeria province overnight.
European Union negotiators are expected to agree on Tuesday (19 May) on legislation removing import duties on U.S. industrial goods, in a move aimed at implementing last year’s trade agreement with the United States and avoiding higher tariffs threatened by U.S. President Donald Trump.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment