Trump says U.S. not seeking to extend interim deal with Iran
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with...
Dan Pettit, America’s oldest active astronaut, has returned to Earth on his 70th birthday after completing his fourth mission aboard the International Space Station (ISS).
Veteran U.S. astronaut Dan Pettit safely landed in Kazakhstan early Sunday morning, marking the end of a 220-day mission aboard the ISS. Pettit, accompanied by Russian crewmates Alexey Ovchinin and Ivan Vagner, touched down in the Soyuz MS-26 capsule at 06:20 local time (01:20 GMT), assisted by parachutes in the open Kazakh steppe.
According to NASA, the trio orbited Earth 3,520 times during their mission. For Pettit, this latest journey brings his cumulative time in space to an impressive 590 days, reinforcing his status as one of NASA’s most seasoned astronauts. Born in Oregon on April 20, 1955, Pettit reached this milestone on his 70th birthday.
Despite his achievement, Pettit is not the oldest person to have flown in space. That distinction remains with John Glenn, who returned to orbit in 1998 at the age of 77. Glenn, a legendary figure in American spaceflight history, passed away in 2016.
Following their return, Pettit and his crewmates will undergo a period of physical readjustment as they reacclimate to Earth’s gravity. Pettit will then travel to NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas, while Ovchinin and Vagner will return to Russia’s Star City space training center near Moscow.
Before their departure, the crew officially handed over command of the ISS to Japanese astronaut Takuya Onishi.
This return follows another recent extended stay aboard the space station. Last month, NASA astronauts Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams finally came back to Earth after spending more than nine months in space—far beyond their initially planned eight-day mission. The delay stemmed from technical problems with the spacecraft that brought them to the ISS in June 2024, forcing them to wait until March 18 of this year to return.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
Nearly a week after a powerful 7.4-magnitude earthquake struck western Colombia, hopes of finding more survivors are fading as rescue teams search collapsed buildings and communities confront widespread destruction.
Central Asia has become a major focus for Eurasian transport investment, with $71.7 billion committed to 114 projects, according to the Eurasian Development Bank’s 2026 Transport Observatory.
The European Union is preparing what foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas has described as its most far-reaching sanctions package against Russia since the war in Ukraine began.
Weeks after thousands of students protested in New Delhi over alleged failures in India’s examination system, the so-called Cockroach movement is taking its campaign to the grassroots, launching audits of state-run schools.
UNESCO Director-General Khaled El-Enany visited Ukraine for the first time since taking office, meeting Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha in Kyiv on 15 August to discuss protecting the country’s cultural heritage amid continued Russian attacks.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment