Iran says Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until U.S. meets deal terms
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade ...
The Trump administration deported 17 alleged violent criminals tied to the Venezuelan gang Tren de Aragua and MS-13 to El Salvador over the weekend, the U.S. State Department announced on Monday.
The deportations were conducted by the U.S. military on Sunday night, with U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio stating that the individuals included murderers and rapists.
President Donald Trump invoked the Alien Enemies Act of 1798 on March 15 to target alleged members of Tren de Aragua, a rarely used wartime law intended to address foreign threats. However, a federal judge temporarily blocked the policy following a legal challenge by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), which argued that the process used to identify gang members was flawed.
Despite the court order, the Trump administration may still use standard immigration processes for removals. The administration has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to lift the ban after a federal appeals court left the policy blocked last week.
The ACLU raised concerns about the Alien Enemies Validation Guide, a checklist reportedly used by U.S. immigration agents to determine gang membership. The guide includes factors such as prior criminal convictions, self-professed membership, and phone calls about gang activity. However, it also includes less reliable indicators such as tattoos, clothing, and hand gestures.
White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt defended the administration’s methodology, stating, “There is a litany of criteria that they use to ensure that these individuals qualify as foreign terrorists and to ensure that they qualify for deportation.”
According to a list published by a Fox News reporter and confirmed by the White House, 12 of the 16 deportees had criminal convictions, one admitted to gang membership, and three were facing charges.
The deportations have sparked further debate about the legitimacy of the administration’s tactics and the legal framework used to enforce them.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Azerbaijan exported goods worth $17.372 million to Armenia between January and July 2026, according to data from the State Customs Committee, as commercial ties between the two South Caucasus neighbours showed signs of expansion.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
Russia has summoned Japan’s ambassador to Moscow and delivered a strong protest over what it called “anti-Russian” remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi concerning four disputed islands.
Pakistan is turning to more U.S. crude as disruption around the Strait of Hormuz exposes the risks of its heavy reliance on Gulf energy supplies.
U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea's Defence Ministry on Tuesday to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.
European countries are stepping up investment in drones and counter-drone technology as unmanned systems reshape modern warfare, driving demand for new production and capabilities across the continent.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment