Morning Brief - 18 August 2026
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 18th of August, covering the latest developments....
The Trump administration has blocked $20 billion in funding for greenhouse gas reduction, angering climate advocates and Democrats. The EPA says the funds don't align with its priorities, but legal challenges have already begun.
The Trump administration has put a halt to $20 billion in funding aimed at reducing greenhouse gases, sparking strong criticism from climate advocates and Democrats who argue it illegally redirects money meant for clean energy and transportation projects in disadvantaged communities.
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Lee Zeldin made the controversial move, claiming that the Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund—established under the Biden administration to reduce pollution—did not align with the EPA’s priorities. Zeldin also cited concerns over potential fraud and misuse of the funds, though specifics were not provided.
The Justice Department and FBI are currently reviewing the program. Despite the freeze, the EPA has pledged to ensure that taxpayer money is spent responsibly, though it has not clarified how it plans to reallocate the funds.
The $20 billion was part of the 2022 Inflation Reduction Act under President Biden, but the EPA’s action comes amid ongoing legal challenges related to climate change and environmental justice. Over the weekend, the Climate United Fund sued the EPA and Citigroup, accusing them of breaching a legally-binding agreement by withholding the funds, which have left several recipients unable to access them.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 18th of August, covering the latest developments.
At least two people were killed, including the alleged shooter, and a number were injured in a shooting at a high school in the southern Philippine city of Zamboanga.
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is considering a scheme to help local police officers cover the legal and financial risks of making immigration arrests under President Donald Trump’s crackdown.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
The economic losses from a powerful earthquake that struck Colombia last week are expected to reach 30 trillion pesos ($9.58 billion), Colombia's President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Monday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment