Türkiye condemns Israel's West Bank land move as illegal under international law
Ankara has condemned an Israeli plan to register large areas of the occupied West Bank as state property, a move widely criticised internationally and...
A coup attempt by a “small group of soldiers” has been foiled in Benin after hours of gunfire struck parts of the economic capital Cotonou, officials said on Sunday.
Twelve hours after the shooting began across several neighbourhoods, President Patrice Talon went on national television to confirm that security forces had regained control and thwarted the plot.
The mutineers had earlier appeared briefly on state television, claiming they had removed Talon from power. They accused the government of failing to address mounting security threats in the north of the country, where attacks by jihadist militants have intensified.
In his address, Talon praised the loyalty of the army and police and vowed that those behind the attempt would face punishment.
“This is the place for me to congratulate our defence and security forces for their sense of duty,” Talon said.
“I spare a thought for the victims of this senseless adventure and for those still held by the fleeing mutineers. We will make every effort to find them safe and sound.”
He added that the situation was fully under control and urged the public to remain calm.
“The situation is completely under control. Go about your business calmly. Security and public order will be maintained throughout the territory,” Talon said.
Benin’s Interior Minister Alassane Seidou had earlier said on national television that the armed forces, “faithful to their oath,” remained loyal and had successfully blocked the takeover attempt.
Finance Minister Romuald Wadagni told Jeune Afrique that the situation was under control but warned earlier that operations were still ongoing as the plotters remained entrenched in some positions.
Nigerian operations focused on dislodging the mutineers from strategic positions, including the state television channel where soldiers had declared Talon removed from power, and a military camp in Cotonou where gunfire and explosions were reported. Talon later confirmed on state television that all coup plotters had been cleared.
Officials later confirmed that 14 people had been arrested in connection with the attempted coup, which comes just months ahead of a presidential election scheduled for April next year.
The whereabouts of Colonel Pascal Tigri, identified as the coup leader, remain unknown.
Earlier on Sunday, the mutineers announced the suspension of the constitution, the dissolution of all institutions and political parties, and the closure of Benin’s borders. They also named Lt. Col. Pascal Tigri as the head of a self-declared “Military Committee for Refoundation.”
Foreign missions quickly issued warnings as gunfire rang out near Camp Guezo, close to the presidential residence.
The U.S. Embassy said it was monitoring reports of gunfire and unconfirmed claims of a coup, urging citizens to avoid Cotonou and stay away from crowds. Russia’s Embassy advised its nationals to remain indoors, while the French Embassy told its citizens to stay at home until further notice.
Benin has not seen a successful coup since 1972. Talon, a former businessman, has been president since 2016 and was re-elected to a second term in 2021.
The attempted takeover adds to growing concern over democratic backsliding across West Africa, where military regimes now rule in neighbouring Niger and Burkina Faso.
Ally intervention
In a rare foreign military intervention, Nigeria dispatched fighter jets and troops on Monday to help restore order in Benin, aiming to prevent the political crisis from escalating.
The operation included surveillance and rapid intervention missions coordinated with Benin authorities, and was expected to be reinforced by forces from Sierra Leone, Ivory Coast, and Ghana under ECOWAS.
Analysts said Nigeria acted out of concern that an unfriendly military regime in Benin could destabilize the region, worsen cross-border jihadist violence, and disrupt trade along the critical corridor linking the two countries.
U.S. Ambassador to NATO Matthew Whitaker said China has the power to bring an end to Russia’s war in Ukraine, arguing that Beijing is enabling Moscow’s military campaign.
Austria’s Janine Flock won the gold medal in the women’s skeleton event at the Milano-Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics on Saturday.
Iran’s Supreme National Security Council Secretary Ali Larijani said the United States could evaluate its own interests separately from those of Israel in ongoing negotiations between Tehran and Washington.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Sunday (15 February) called it “troubling” a report by five European allies blaming Russia for killing late Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny using a toxin from poison dart frogs.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said on Saturday that Russia’s decision to change the leadership of its delegation for upcoming peace talks in Geneva appeared to be an attempt to delay progress.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Washington is ready to pursue diplomacy with Iran as nuclear talks resume in Geneva, using a visit to Budapest on Monday (16 January) to reaffirm both U.S. negotiating aims and strong ties with Hungary ahead of its April election.
Geneva is set to host two sets of negotiations on Tuesday, with U.S. officials meeting Iranian representatives in the morning and a trilateral session on Ukraine scheduled for the afternoon. The talks aim to advance a resolution of Iran’s nuclear programme and a U.S.-brokered peace plan for Ukraine.
Iran’s Revolutionary Guards navy held military exercises in the Strait of Hormuz on Monday (16 February), state-linked media reported. The drill took place a day before renewed nuclear negotiations between Tehran and Washington in Geneva.
A man accused of carrying out Australia’s deadliest mass shooting in nearly three decades appeared briefly in a Sydney court on Monday (16 February), facing terrorism and murder charges over the 14 December attack on a Jewish Hanukkah celebration at Bondi Beach that left 15 people dead.
The 2026 Munich Security Conference (MSC) unfolded over three intense days in Munich, confronting a defining question of our era: has the post-Second World War international order collapsed - and if so, what will replace it?
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment