SpaceX completes largely successful Starship V3 test flight
SpaceX has completed a largely successful test flight of Starship V3, the largest and most powerful rocket in history....
Thousands gathered in Valencia on Saturday in a protest against the government's reaction to the deadly floods that killed more than 220 people. Around 80 people are still missing after heavy rainfall burst the banks of rivers, devastating the Valencia province on 29 October.
Tens of thousands of protesters filled the streets of Valencia on Saturday (9 November) to demand accountability for the regional government's handling of catastrophic floods that have claimed the lives of more than 220 people. In one of Europe’s deadliest natural disasters in decades, the floodwaters devastated the Valencia province, leaving nearly 80 people still missing.
As protesters gathered in the city centre, many called for the resignation of regional leader Carlos Mazon, accusing him of mishandling the crisis. Demonstrators shouted chants of "Killers!" and held signs reading, "Our hands are stained with mud, yours with blood," as they plastered the Valencia Regional Government Palace with muddy handprints, a symbol of their anger and frustration.
The demonstration, organized by over 30 civil groups, was a response to what residents describe as delayed emergency action. Protesters claim that Mazon issued an alert too late, hours after water had already inundated villages across the region. He's defended his handling of the crisis.
Some local municipalities and even the University of Valencia raised alarms ahead of the regional government, with warnings starting as early as 28 October. National weather servies issued a red alert for heavy rain on the Tuesday morning at 7:30am 29 October. This is the highest level of warning. Some areas were flooding by 6pm. Mazon's administration then sent out alerts to mobile phones after 8pm. Many believe that local authorities failed to act swiftly enough, contributing to the widespread devastation.
“It’s a weather phenomenon. Of course, it couldn’t have been avoided, but the magnitude of the consequences could have been,” said Yao, a 21-year-old student. "And certainly, this has happened as a result of our politicians and their actions."
While the protest remained largely peaceful, tensions flared as some demonstrators threw objects at police officers and clashed with authorities, leading to brief scuffles.
Several protesters held signs with personal messages, such as one reading, “My father died because of your incompetence, murderers.”
In front of the government building, protesters left behind muddy shoes and clothes. The mood was intense, with demonstrators chanting "Murder, murder" and waving their phones aloft, lighting up the square with their screens.
The protest, while an expression of collective anger, also highlighted the region’s deep sense of loss and the growing demand for justice in the wake of the disaster.
Spain has announced an aid package worth more than 10 billion euros to help those affected by the disaster.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
NATO fighter jets were activated on Thursday (21 May) after at least one drone entered Latvian airspace, according to Latvia’s armed forces, marking the latest in a series of security incidents across the Baltic region linked to the war in Ukraine.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
At least 90 miners have died in a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China. The blast occurred on Friday at 19:29 local time (11:39 GMT) at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, according to Chinese state media.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 23rd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
SpaceX has completed a largely successful test flight of Starship V3, the largest and most powerful rocket in history.
Ukraine’s military denied that it struck a student dormitory in the Russian-controlled Luhansk region on Friday (22 May).
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove cheaper and cleaner to extract than those mined elsewhere in the country.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment