Why Congo's Ebola outbreak is spreading faster than ever
The Democratic Republic of Congo says the number of confirmed Ebola cases has risen to more than 5,000, with more than 2,300 deaths. Dela...
Greece has declared a state of emergency on Santorini as the island faces ongoing earthquakes, with tremors reaching up to 5.3 in magnitude. In response, the government has introduced temporary measures to protect workers and businesses, including compensation and job retention initiatives.
Greece has introduced temporary support measures for workers on the island of Santorini following a series of earthquakes that have rattled the popular tourism destination for over a week.
Since February 1, the Aegean Sea off Santorini has experienced thousands of tremors, with magnitudes reaching up to 5.3. As a result, authorities have declared a state of emergency on the island, which will remain in effect for at least a month.
In response, Greek authorities have closed schools across Santorini and neighboring islands, deploying rescue teams and the army to assist with ongoing efforts. Over 11,000 people, including many seasonal workers, have evacuated the area.
To mitigate the impact on the island's tourism-dependent economy, Greece's labor ministry has announced measures to protect workers and businesses. Under these provisions, businesses are allowed to suspend worker contracts until March 3, but layoffs are prohibited. At the end of this period, businesses must restore the same number of jobs as before the suspension. Workers whose contracts are suspended will receive state compensation of up to 534 euros for a 30-day period.
However, the union representing food and tourism workers, POEET, has voiced concerns about the lack of protection for many employees. The union criticized the inconsistent decisions made by businesses regarding operations, leaving many workers without income or insurance coverage during this uncertain period.
Santorini, with a population of approximately 20,000, is a major European tourist destination, attracting more than 3 million visitors annually, drawn by its stunning views and famous sunsets. The island, formed by a volcanic eruption in 1600 BC, is now grappling with the effects of seismic activity. Experts say the current series of earthquakes, though unrelated to volcanic activity, are unprecedented in the region and may continue for weeks. Scientists have also cautioned that a larger tremor could still occur.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
At least nine people were killed, including a child, in a fire at a hotel in India's eastern city of Kolkata on Wednesday, local police said.
France is set to expel two Iranian diplomats in response to what Paris has described as a “deliberate assault” on two French embassy staff in Tehran last month, escalating tensions between the two countries.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment