Jakarta protesters clash with police over lawmakers’ pay
Protesters in Jakarta again confronted police on 28 August, voicing anger over what they see as excessive salaries and perks for lawmakers. Tear gas, ...
United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres announced on Thursday that the latest discussions on Cyprus were "constructive" and that progress had been made on several initiatives.
Guterres was speaking to reporters after hosting Greek Cypriot leader Nikos Christodoulides and Turkish Cypriot leader Ersin Tatar at the UN Headquarters in New York.
“Today’s discussions were constructive. Both leaders reviewed the progress on the six initiatives they agreed to in March to build trust,” he said.
Out of these six initiatives, four have been achieved: the creation of a technical committee on youth, initiatives on the environment and climate change, restoration of cemeteries, and an agreement on demining that will be closed once the final technical details are established.
“And discussions will continue on the remaining two,” the UN chief added, referring to the opening of four crossing points on the divided island and solar energy in the buffer zone.
In addition, the leaders reached a common understanding on new initiatives, including a consultative body for civil society engagement, exchanging cultural artifacts, improving air quality monitoring, and addressing microplastic pollution.
“It is critical to implement these initiatives – all of them – as soon as possible for the benefit of all Cypriots,” Guterres said.
The Secretary-General also confirmed that he will meet both leaders again during the UN General Assembly’s high‑level week in September. Another informal meeting in the same format is planned later this year.
“There’s a long road ahead. And it is important to think about what the future can mean – for all Cypriots,” he said.
“But these steps clearly demonstrate a commitment to continuing a dialogue on the way forward and working on initiatives that benefit all Cypriots,” he added.
Turkish Cypriot leader Ersin Tatar stressed Thursday that formal negotiations on the Cyprus issue would not resume unless the sovereign equality and international status of Turkish Cypriots are recognized.
He ruled out the possibility of a federation-based solution for Cyprus.
“We will never compromise our sovereignty. Any agreement must be founded on the principle of equal sovereignty between two separate states,” Tatar told reporters in New York.
The Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC), situated in the northern part of the island, is recognized only by Türkiye, which serves as a guarantor state in efforts to resolve the Cyprus issue.
Türkiye's Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan, Greek Cypriot leader Nikos Christodoulides, the Foreign Minister of Greece, George Gerapettis and the U.K. Minister of State for Europe, North America and Overseas Territories, Stephen Doughty, also attended the meeting.
Greece and the U.K. are guarantor states for the the Republic of Cyprus in the process.
The UN has pushed for negotiations towards a settlement of the issues which led to the division of the island, with the Security Council authorising a UN peacekeeping force in 1964.
In the absence of a permanent agreement, the force remains on the island to supervise ceasefire lines, a buffer zone and to support humanitarian activities.
The United Nations has been putting efforts towards a comprehensive and mutually acceptable settlement to the Cyprus issue, supporting dialogue between Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot leaders.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
Kuwait says oil prices will likely stay below $72 per barrel as OPEC monitors global supply trends and U.S. policy signals. The remarks come during market uncertainty fueled by new U.S. tariffs on India and possible sanctions on Russia.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is highlighting Türkiye’s push for homegrown air defence, as the country develops new systems and deepens defence ties internationally.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi says Tehran has agreed to the visit by inspectors of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) simply to monitor refuelling of its Bushehr nuclear power plant warning that return of nuclear sanctions will negatively affect its limited cooperation.
President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev welcomed Magdalena Grono, the European Union Special Representative for the South Caucasus in Baku on Thursday.
Azerbaijan’s Qarabağ FK have made history once again, becoming the country’s only club to qualify twice for the UEFA Champions League group stage.
Türkiye's aid groups have continued delivering millions of meals, water, medical supplies, and shelters to Gaza despite access restrictions.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment