live Iran threatens ‘fully offensive’ posture as oil prices surge above $91 a barrel
Iran has warned it will shift to a “fully offensive” military posture if efforts to reach a permanent peace deal with the U.S. fail, se...
At least two people were killed, including the alleged shooter, and a number were injured in a shooting at a high school in the southern Philippine city of Zamboanga.
The incident happened on Tuesday, 17 August at a school on the campus of Ateneo de Zamboanga University. City mayor Khymer Adan Olaso said the two people killed were students, including the suspected shooter, who killed himself, according to an interview he gave to the local ANC news channel.
University president Ernald Andal confirmed there was no longer an active threat.
“As of now, we confirm that there are two fatalities. There are no more active shooters,” he said.
Officials said the suspect used a high-powered firearm. The circumstances leading up to the shooting were still being investigated.
Olaso said the suspect appeared to have been wearing a body camera and may have been livestreaming the attack.
According to the mayor, the suspect first fired at a teacher before shooting another student. The teacher's condition was not immediately clear.
The university said it was working with police and other authorities as investigators established what happened.
“We do not want any of these things to happen,” Andal said. “We wish to prioritise the safety of all our students.”
The shooting is the second deadly attack at a Philippine school in less than two months.
In June, at least three students were killed and around 20 others injured when two students opened fire at a public high school in Tacloban City.
The latest incident also comes less than two weeks after a school shooting in Thailand, where a student killed a fellow pupil before taking his own life.
The incidents have renewed concerns over gun violence and safety in schools across the region.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 18th of August, covering the latest developments.
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is considering a scheme to help local police officers cover the legal and financial risks of making immigration arrests under President Donald Trump’s crackdown.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
The economic losses from a powerful earthquake that struck Colombia last week are expected to reach 30 trillion pesos ($9.58 billion), Colombia's President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Monday.
Taiwan is preparing to spend more money on its military than ever before, with President Lai Ching-te announcing plans for a record defence budget of $31.4 billion for 2027, taking military spending above three per cent of GDP for the first time.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment