live Iran threatens ‘fully offensive’ posture as oil prices surge above $91 a barrel
Iran has warned it will shift to a “fully offensive” military posture if efforts to reach a permanent peace deal with the U.S. fail, se...
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is considering a scheme to help local police officers cover the legal and financial risks of making immigration arrests under President Donald Trump’s crackdown.
Under the proposal, local officers trained and deputised to enforce federal immigration law could receive up to $250 a year towards professional liability insurance.
The cover could provide protection of up to $500,000, depending on the policy, including for legal costs, settlements and court judgments.
The proposal has drawn criticism from immigration policy experts who fear it could reduce accountability for officers involved in enforcement operations.
David Bier, director of immigration studies at the Cato Institute, said the plan risked shielding officers from the consequences of misconduct.
“The concern here is that ICE is going above and beyond to guarantee law enforcement does not have even the slightest risk of liability for violating Americans' rights while helping ICE arrest people.”
The document does not give a firm date for the scheme's launch. ICE is seeking feedback from companies and is considering hiring a contractor to manage outreach, training and communications with local police departments.
The contractor would also be responsible for selecting an insurance provider and processing reimbursements.
The proposal comes as the Trump administration expands its immigration enforcement programme across the U.S.
Trump has said the crackdown and deportation drive are intended to improve national security. Rights groups, however, accuse the administration of undermining due process and free speech protections.
They have also raised concerns about racial profiling, particularly among ethnic minority communities.
The proposed insurance scheme could become another point of tension as local police departments take on a greater role in enforcing federal immigration laws.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 18th of August, covering the latest developments.
At least two people were killed, including the alleged shooter, and a number were injured in a shooting at a high school in the southern Philippine city of Zamboanga.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
The economic losses from a powerful earthquake that struck Colombia last week are expected to reach 30 trillion pesos ($9.58 billion), Colombia's President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Monday.
Taiwan is preparing to spend more money on its military than ever before, with President Lai Ching-te announcing plans for a record defence budget of $31.4 billion for 2027, taking military spending above three per cent of GDP for the first time.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment