Israeli police criticised after Gaza Flotilla detentions shown in video footage
Israeli police have come under criticism after footage showed activists from a Gaza-bound aid flotilla kneeling on the ground with their hands tied...
Two Jewish men have been stabbed in London in an incident that British police are treating as a terrorist attack.
Officers arrested a 45-year-old man on suspicion of attempted murder after tasering the suspected knifeman in Golders Green, a major Jewish area in north London. Police said the suspect had also attempted to stab officers.
Police said they were working to determine whether the attack deliberately targeted Jewish people, adding that they were considering “all possible motives” as part of their investigation.
The two victims, a man in his 70s and a man in his 30s, remain in hospital in a stable condition, police said.
The stabbings follow a series of arson attacks targeting Jewish sites in London over the past month.
Officers have arrested more than two dozen people as part of investigations into attacks on Jewish-linked premises.
Wednesday’s attack took place close to where ambulances belonging to a volunteer-led service run by the Jewish community were set alight in March. Synagogues, as well as Jewish-owned charities and businesses, have also been targeted.
In October 2025, two people and an attacker were killed after a man drove at a synagogue in the UK’s second city, Manchester.
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, who promised to combat the rise of antisemitism after the Manchester killings, said: "The antisemitic attack in Golders Green is utterly appalling."
Britain’s Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis said the government needed more than just words to face down "hatred.”
Israeli President Isaac Herzog said urgent action was needed, warning it had become "dangerous to openly walk the streets as a Jew" in London.
Golders Green, in north London, is home to a large Jewish population and has been the location of several of the attacks, along with sites near the Israeli embassy in west London.
Police said they were working to establish the background and nationality of the suspect in Wednesday’s attack.
Unverified footage posted on social media appeared to show a man wearing a traditional Jewish skullcap being attacked with a knife while standing at a bus stop. The footage also appeared to show officers repeatedly kicking the suspect in the head as they attempted to disarm him.
Arson incidents over the past month are being investigated for possible Iranian links, amid warnings from security officials that Iran has sought to use criminal proxies to carry out hostile activity in the UK.
A pro-Iranian group, Harakat Ashab al-Yamin al-Islamiyya, which says it was behind other incidents across Europe, has claimed responsibility for some of the London attacks on social media.
On Tuesday, Britain summoned the Iranian ambassador over what it described as the Iranian embassy’s "unacceptable and inflammatory" comments online. While Britain did not specify the remarks, the embassy had called on Iranians in Britain to volunteer for a campaign declaring their willingness to sacrifice their lives for their country.
Antisemitic attacks have risen globally since the October 2023 Hamas assault on Israel that triggered the war in Gaza. This includes a mass shooting at a Hanukkah celebration on Bondi Beach that killed 15 people in December last year.
Britain has seen a similar rise since the Manchester attack, with Jewish communities increasing private security measures.
Local MP Sarah Sackman said on X that she was meeting Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood to discuss the situation. Mahmood said on social media that her thoughts were with the victims of the "abhorrent" attack.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
Azerbaijan and Georgia have agreed to resume daily passenger train services on the Baku-Tbilisi-Baku route from 26 May, 2026, marking a major step in restoring regional rail connectivity after services were suspended in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Day four of the World Urban Forum (WUF) in Baku brings a packed agenda on sustainable cities and the global housing crisis, with sessions on green housing, smart cities, public spaces and urban rights taking place on Wednesday (20 May) at Baku Olympic Stadium in Azerbaijan.
At least 21 people have been killed and thousands evacuated after torrential rain triggered flooding, landslides and transport disruption across southern and central China, with authorities warning that more heavy rainfall is expected along the Yangtze River.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 21st May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
The United States has removed Francesca Albanese, a United Nations expert on the Palestinian territories, from its sanctions list, according to the U.S. Treasury Department website.
Chinese President Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin met in Beijing on Wednesday, showing close political alignment even though key economic deals were not finalised.
Britain has struck a major trade agreement with the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), expected to be worth around £3.7 billion ($4.96 billion) a year in the long run.
FormeFormer Cuban President Raúl Castro has been indicted in the United States, according to a senior Trump administration official. The move marks a significant escalation in Washington’s pressure campaign against Cuba’s communist leadership.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment