Why Ukraine is targeting Wildberries warehouses in Russia
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes ai...
A former top foreign ministry official said on Tuesday he faced “constant pressure” from Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s office to accelerate the appointment of Peter Mandelson as its preferred candidate as ambassador to the U.S.
Olly Robbins, who was dismissed last week after ministers said they had lost confidence in him, told a parliamentary committee the process had been treated as a “done deal.”
“I walked into a situation in which there was already a very, very strong expectation ... that he needed to be in post and in America as quickly as humanly possible,” Robbins said.
“I think throughout January (2025), honestly, my office, the foreign secretary's office, were under constant pressure,” he added, describing “frequent phone calls” and an “atmosphere of constant chasing.”
Downing Street rejected the claims, saying there was a difference between pressure and keeping updated on progress.
The dispute centres on the appointment of Peter Mandelson as ambassador to the U.S., despite concerns linked to his past associations, including ties to the late U.S. sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Starmer has admitted he was “wrong” to approve the appointment and expressed regret, but has blamed officials for failing to inform him that security vetting advisers had raised concerns.
Robbins said the vetting body viewed the case as borderline and leaned against granting clearance — a warning Starmer says he never received.
The controversy has sparked calls for Starmer’s resignation, although Labour lawmakers do not expect an immediate leadership challenge ahead of elections on May 7.
Further criticism emerged after Robbins revealed Downing Street had also pushed for a diplomatic role for Matthew Doyle, prompting concern within the party.
Robbins warned that blocking Mandelson’s appointment at a late stage could have damaged relations with the U.S., as approval had already been secured from King Charles and the U.S. government.
The escalating war of words risks prolonging a political crisis that continues to test Starmer’s leadership.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
Russia has summoned Japan’s ambassador to Moscow and delivered a strong protest over what it called “anti-Russian” remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi concerning four disputed islands.
Pakistan is turning to more U.S. crude as disruption around the Strait of Hormuz exposes the risks of its heavy reliance on Gulf energy supplies.
U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea's Defence Ministry on Tuesday to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.
European countries are stepping up investment in drones and counter-drone technology as unmanned systems reshape modern warfare, driving demand for new production and capabilities across the continent.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment