WUF13 comes to a close as sustainable reconstruction and resettlement feature on final day
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion ...
Donald Trump’s flagship plan for post-war Gaza has come under scrutiny after reports that its financing is falling short of expectations, claims firmly rejected by the White House-backed Board of Peace.
The initiative, designed to oversee Gaza’s governance and reconstruction after years of war, is backed by pledges of around $17 billion from international donors. However, sources familiar with the process told Reuters that only a small fraction of that money has been delivered so far, slowing preparations on the ground.
At the centre of the plan is the Board of Peace, which is meant to coordinate funding, oversee a transitional Palestinian administration, and support the creation of the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG), a technocratic body intended to take over civilian governance from Hamas in due course.
But in a statement posted on social media on Friday, the Board of Peace rejected the suggestion that it is facing financial problems, describing the reporting as “fundamentally wrong and misleading”.
“The Board of Peace is a lean, execution-focused organisation that calls capital as needed,” it said. “There are no funding constraints. To date, all funding requests have been met immediately and in full.”
The comments came after reports citing sources involved in the process that said only a limited number of pledged donors had transferred funds, leaving the overall contribution well below expectations. Those sources said this had delayed the NCAG’s ability to deploy into Gaza.
The Board, however, insisted that the programme remains fully funded in practice, arguing that financing is released on a needs basis rather than held in advance. Representatives for the NCAG did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
The NCAG, led by former Palestinian Authority deputy minister Ali Shaath, is intended to eventually assume control of Gaza’s ministries and oversee a new local police force. Its members are currently based in Cairo under international supervision while planning continues.
Diplomatic sources say broader negotiations over Gaza’s future remain stuck, particularly over the disarmament of Hamas and the conditions for Israeli withdrawal. Egypt has been hosting discussions between Palestinian factions, but key issues remain unresolved.
The wider backdrop is a fragile ceasefire agreement reached last October, which halted full-scale fighting but left Israeli forces controlling large parts of Gaza while Hamas retained authority in smaller areas. Both sides continue to accuse each other of violations.
The war began after Hamas’s 7 October 2023 attacks on Israel, which killed around 1,200 people, according to Israeli figures. Palestinian health authorities say the subsequent Israeli campaign has killed tens of thousands in Gaza and displaced most of its population.
While humanitarian agencies estimate reconstruction could cost tens of billions of dollars, the Board of Peace maintains that funding arrangements are functioning as intended and that reports of a cash shortfall do not reflect the reality of its operations.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove cheaper and cleaner to extract than those mined elsewhere in the country.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić said he was pessimistic that an agreement would be reached before Friday’s deadline regarding Hungarian oil company MOL group's bid to acquire a majority stake in Naftna Industrija Srbije (NIS), the operator of Serbia’s only oil refinery.
A potential call between U.S. President Donald Trump and Taiwan President Lai Ching-te has triggered sharp warnings from China, underlining once again how sensitive Taiwan remains in relations between Beijing and Washington.
U.S. President Donald Trump surprised NATO allies by announcing plans to deploy an additional 5,000 American troops to Poland, just hours before Secretary of State Marco Rubio was due to meet alliance ministers in Sweden on Friday against the backdrop of growing divisions over the Iran war.
SpaceX stopped the launch of its 12th Starship rocket from Texas on Thursday and said it will attempt the high-stakes test flight again on Friday, as Elon Musk's space company nears a record-breaking public listing.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment