Three killed in San Diego Islamic Centre shooting as police confirm two teenage suspects dead
Two teenage gunmen opened fire on Monday at the Islamic Center of San Diego, California, killing a security guard ...
In a move highlighting growing friction between global trade and digital retail, China on Monday issued new guidance for its rapidly expanding e-commerce sector.
The multi-agency directive aims to better align domestic market development with international regulatory expectations. It comes just one week after a delegation of lawmakers from the European Union concluded a tense visit to Beijing focused on unfair competition and product safety.
The visit was highly significant, marking the first official European parliamentary trip to the world’s second-largest economy in eight years. During meetings, EU lawmakers pressed their Chinese counterparts over a surge of dangerous and counterfeit goods entering the bloc via cross-border platforms. They also reiterated long-standing concerns about limited access for European firms to China’s domestic market.
This pressure from Brussels carries considerable economic weight. Last month, the European Union agreed to overhaul its customs system. A central element of the reform is a crackdown on predominantly Chinese e-commerce platforms, which could face multi-million-euro fines if found to have enabled the sale of illegal or unsafe products to European consumers.
The new guidance from Beijing - jointly drafted by the commerce ministry and several other government bodies - appears to be a measured response to these concerns. It calls for a balance between global expansion and stricter domestic oversight, stressing that efficiency must not come at the expense of fairness.
A key component is the creation of dedicated “pilot zones” for cross-border e-commerce. These zones will act as regulatory sandboxes to test new rules and safety standards, while supporting the overseas expansion of Chinese platforms without triggering foreign regulatory backlash.
The guidance also seeks to address European concerns over market access. Officials said China would encourage firms to establish overseas procurement bases, increase imports of high-quality goods, and create an “express lane” for global products entering the Chinese market. The move is intended to counter criticism that China’s e-commerce model primarily serves exports.
Despite the scope of the policy, analysts caution that it will not resolve deeper tensions between Brussels and Beijing. Chen Bo, a senior research fellow at the East Asian Institute of the National University of Singapore, described the move as constructive but limited.
He said it could ease short-term operational frictions but is unlikely to address structural disputes. While a comprehensive agreement remains unlikely in the near term, he suggested a more practical interim deal could emerge if both sides remain pragmatic.
"(This policy) actually shows the Chinese commitment to promote its e-commerce in the world, because the EU concern is quite representative. It is also the concern from other leading or developed economies," Chen added, pointing out that Washington and London harbour very similar anxieties regarding Chinese digital retail dominance.
From a diplomatic standpoint, China’s foreign ministry said the EU visit had improved understanding and supported stable ties. However, underlying tensions persist. These include trade imbalances, Beijing’s “no limits” partnership with Russia following the war in Ukraine, and disputes over rare-earth export controls.
For now, the new e-commerce guidance appears to act as a temporary pause in escalating digital trade tensions, giving Beijing time to recalibrate its strategy for an increasingly cautious European market.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
Two teenage gunmen opened fire on Monday at the Islamic Center of San Diego, California, killing a security guard and two other men outside the mosque before the suspects were found dead, apparently from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, police said.
At least four people have been killed in protests across Kenya over sharp fuel price rises, as a nationwide transport strike brought parts of the country to a standstill.
Gunmen killed at least 10 people, including women and children, in an attack on a rural community in Nigeria’s northwestern Katsina State, residents said.
Russian President Vladimir Putin’s upcoming visit to China is expected to focus on strengthening bilateral ties, particularly through expanded trade and economic cooperation.
Israeli military strikes across Gaza killed at least eight Palestinians on Sunday, according to local health officials, as the Israel Defense Forces intensified operations targeting Hamas commanders and infrastructure across the enclave.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment