Azerbaijan is setting the rules in a changing South Caucasus
Azerbaijan’s strategic rise is turning it from a transit state into a regional rule-setter, with the Middle Corridor giving Baku growing infl...
New Zealand declared a state of emergency in Otorohanga on Saturday (14 February) after torrential rain caused severe flooding, power outages and evacuations.
A man was found dead in a submerged vehicle, as forecasters warned the storm would intensify and threaten Wellington and other parts of the North Island.
Authorities said the man’s body was discovered inside a vehicle trapped on a flooded highway after heavy rain pounded the agricultural district, about 180 km south of Auckland, overnight. His name has not been released.
Otorohanga District Mayor Rodney Dow described the situation as devastating, saying the community was focused on supporting affected residents and emergency crews.
“Right now, our focus is on supporting those affected by the widespread flooding, as well as the emergency workers and support agencies who are also helping,” he told a news conference.
Rain began falling around 2 pm local time on Friday (13 February) but intensified sharply through the evening.
Up to 300mm was recorded in roughly an hour, overwhelming a pumping system designed to prevent flooding. Mayor Dow described the sudden deluge as “a weather bomb”.
Around 80 people had been evacuated by Saturday, with authorities setting up an emergency centre in a local church. Residents who were not ordered to leave were advised to remain indoors and avoid floodwaters as officials began assessing what was described as extensive damage.
New Zealand’s MetService warned the weather system was expected to strengthen, bringing heavy rain, winds of up to 120km/h and waves reaching seven metres from Sunday.
A severe weather warning covers parts of the North Island’s east coast, from the Coromandel Peninsula to the Bay of Plenty, and includes the capital Wellington.
Images shared on social media showed semi-rural neighbourhoods submerged, sections of collapsed roadway and debris-laden bridges after floodwaters receded, underscoring the scale of the destruction as communities brace for further impact.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
The U.S. imposed sanctions on the International Criminal Court's (ICC) President Tomoko Akane and a senior trial lawyer at the court Abdoulaye Seye on Tuesday, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said.
Ukraine's parliament has approved Yevhenii Khmara as the country's new defence minister, cementing a key leadership change as Kyiv navigates wartime priorities and a broader government reorganisation.
Thai schools conducted active shooter drills on Wednesday (19 August), as authorities moved to strengthen security measures two weeks after a 14-year-old opened fire at a school and killed at least eight people.
Apple has announced a major overhaul of its business terms for apps distributed in the European Union, introducing a five per cent commission on digital transactions outside its App Store and simplifying its fee structure as it seeks to comply with the bloc’s Digital Markets Act (DMA).
A record number of humanitarian workers were killed, injured or kidnapped in 2025, with the growing use of armed drones contributing to mounting risks in conflict zones, the United Nations said on Wednesday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment