Trump signals openness to Iran talks despite U.S. military buildup

Trump signals openness to Iran talks despite U.S. military buildup
U.S. President Donald Trump greets newlyweds Dan Scavino and Erin Elmore at Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach, Florida, 1 February, 2026.
Reuters

The Trump administration has signalled it remains open to diplomatic engagement with Iran, even as the United States increases its military presence in the Persian Gulf, according to a report by Axios.

Citing a senior U.S. official, Axios reported that President Donald Trump has not yet made a final decision on potential military action against Iran and continues to consider a negotiated path to de-escalate tensions.

The report said Türkiye, Egypt and Qatar are acting as key intermediaries, working to arrange a possible meeting in Ankara later this week between White House envoy Steve Witkoff and senior Iranian officials. Two regional sources told Axios the three countries are coordinating closely with both Washington and Tehran to prevent a wider conflict.

“It is moving. We are doing our best,” an official from one of the mediating countries was quoted as saying.

The diplomatic outreach comes days after Trump warned on social media that a large U.S. naval force was heading toward Iran, while urging Tehran to enter talks immediately. The United States has increased its military posture in the region amid heightened tensions following anti-government protests in Iran late last year.

Iranian officials have warned that any U.S. military strike would trigger a swift and comprehensive response, raising fears that miscalculation could draw the wider region into conflict.

Supreme Leader of Iran, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Sunday, "When you hear them talking about war, saying things like 'we'll come with this plane or that plane and do this or that,' it's nothing new. The Americans have threatened us repeatedly in the past, saying 'all options are on the table,' which includes the option of war. They've always said these things." 

"Similarly, this person (Donald Trump) constantly claims they've brought war ships. But the Iranian nation shall not be intimidated by these things, the Iranian people will not be stirred by these threats. They do not fear a fair confrontation. We are not the initiators and do not want to attack any country, but the Iranian nation will strike a strong blow against anyone who attacks and harasses them," he added.  

Despite the military buildup, the Axios report suggests Washington is still leaving the door open to diplomacy as regional actors intensify efforts to broker dialogue between the two long-time adversaries.

Tags