Punch, a baby monkey abandoned by its mother, goes viral after befriending a stuffed orangutan
A seven-month-old Japanese macaque has captured global attention after forming an unusual but heart-warming bond with a stuffed orangutan toy followin...
Israel has reopened Gaza’s Rafah border crossing with Egypt in what Israeli media described as a “pilot operation,” marking the first opening of the crossing in two years.
Israeli authorities said preparations are under way for the crossing to begin regular operations on Monday, marking the first step toward a broader reopening after nearly two years of closure.
Israel’s military body responsible for Palestinian civilian affairs, COGAT, said a pilot phase is currently testing and assessing procedures, with movement of residents expected to start once preparations are completed. The operation is being coordinated with Egypt and a European Union mission supervising the Gaza side of the terminal.
According to COGAT, the crossing will reopen for Gaza residents on foot only and in both directions, in line with the ceasefire framework and directives from Israel’s political leadership.
Israeli officials said Egypt requested that initial departures from Gaza be limited to wounded and ill patients, along with their accompanying relatives.
Palestinian health officials say around 20,000 patients are waiting to leave Gaza for medical treatment abroad.
Two Egyptian officials said at least 50 Palestinian patients are being processed to cross into Egypt, with around 200 people per day expected to leave Gaza in the first days, including patients and family members. About 50 people are expected to return to Gaza daily.
An Israeli defence official said the crossing can handle between 150 and 200 people per day in total, with more people leaving than returning because patients travel with escorts.
According to COGAT, only Palestinians who previously left Gaza during the war and have received prior Israeli security approval will be allowed to re-enter the territory in the first stage.
Israeli newspaper Haaretz reported that Israel plans to establish a military checkpoint near the Gaza side of the crossing, a move Egypt has opposed.
Before the war, Rafah was Gaza’s only direct gateway to the outside world that does not pass through Israel and served as a key entry point for humanitarian aid. The crossing has been largely closed since May 2024 and under Israeli military control on the Gaza side.
Reopening Rafah is a key element of the first phase of U.S. President Donald Trump’s plan aimed at ending the Israel-Hamas war. However, the ceasefire has remained fragile, with both sides accusing each other of violations in recent weeks.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
An Austrian climber has been convicted of gross negligent manslaughter after his girlfriend died from hypothermia while climbing Austria’s highest peak, the Grossglockner, in January 2025.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
A seven-month-old Japanese macaque has captured global attention after forming an unusual but heart-warming bond with a stuffed orangutan toy following abandonment by its mother.
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has approved new sanctions targeting Russian maritime operators, defence-linked companies and individuals connected to Moscow’s military and energy sectors, according to official decrees issued on Saturday.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
A technical fault in the helium system of NASA’s next-generation moon rocket was announced on Saturday, ruling out the planned March launch window for the Artemis II mission.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Germany's ruling conservatives on Saturday (21 February) passed a motion to ban social media use for under 14s and introduce more stringent digital verification checks for teenagers, building momentum for such limits in Germany and elsewhere in Europe.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment