U.S. and Iran send mixed signals on peace talks as Qatari negotiators arrive in Tehran
The U.S. and Iran have given mixed signals about progress in peace talks, after U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said there had been “some...
A 6.8 magnitude earthquake struck Tibet’s Shigatse region, killing over 120, injuring hundreds, and leaving thousands displaced as rescue efforts continue in freezing temperatures.
A powerful 6.8 magnitude earthquake struck the Shigatse region of Tibet on Tuesday morning, leaving at least 126 people dead and hundreds injured, according to Chinese authorities.
The quake, with its epicenter near Tingri County—just 80 km north of Mount Everest—caused widespread destruction, flattening homes and forcing residents to endure freezing temperatures as rescue efforts continue.
Shigatse, home to 800,000 people and a significant hub of Tibetan Buddhism, witnessed severe damage, with many homes reduced to rubble. Tremors were felt across neighboring countries, including Nepal, Bhutan, and India. The quake triggered over 150 aftershocks, further destabilizing the region.
Chinese President Xi Jinping has called for all-out rescue efforts, with more than 1,500 personnel and 22,000 relief items, including tents and coats, dispatched to the affected areas.
The Dalai Lama, Tibet’s spiritual leader, expressed his condolences, while Chinese authorities closed the Everest region to tourists as a precaution. This earthquake adds to the region's history of seismic activity due to the collision of the Indian and Eurasian tectonic plates.
The situation remains dire, with temperatures plunging to -16°C overnight and rescue teams racing against time to aid survivors and rebuild shattered communities.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
NATO fighter jets were activated on Thursday (21 May) after at least one drone entered Latvian airspace, according to Latvia’s armed forces, marking the latest in a series of security incidents across the Baltic region linked to the war in Ukraine.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
At least 90 miners have died in a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China. The blast occurred on Friday at 19:29 local time (11:39 GMT) at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, according to Chinese state media.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 23rd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
SpaceX has completed a largely successful test flight of Starship V3, the largest and most powerful rocket in history.
Ukraine’s military denied that it struck a student dormitory in the Russian-controlled Luhansk region on Friday (22 May).
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove cheaper and cleaner to extract than those mined elsewhere in the country.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment