live Russia signals openness to new Ukraine peace ideas
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russia...
The United States will impose and enforce sanctions "to the maximum extent" to deprive Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro of resources as Russia warned other Latin American countries could be next, the U.S. told the United Nations on Tuesday.
Addressing the UN Security Council, U.S. ambassador Mike Waltz said transnational criminal and terrorist groups posed the most serious threat to the region and to the United States.
“The single most serious threat to this hemisphere, our very own neighbourhood and the United States, is from transnational terrorist and criminal groups,” he said.
Washington has increased its military presence in the region, while President Donald Trump has announced a blockade of vessels subject to U.S. sanctions.
The U.S. Coast Guard has intercepted two tankers in the Caribbean Sea this month, both carrying Venezuelan crude, and is pursuing a third empty vessel that was approaching Venezuela’s coastline.
Waltz said sanctioned oil tankers represented the primary economic lifeline for what he described as Maduro’s “illegitimate regime”, and alleged that the proceeds also funded the Cartel de los Soles.
The United States last month designated Cartel de los Soles, also known as the Cartel of the Suns, as a foreign terrorist organisation, citing its alleged involvement in drug trafficking into the U.S. Washington accuses Maduro of leading the group.
Venezuela’s government has rejected the designation, calling it “ridiculous” and insisting the group does not exist.
Russia’s ambassador to the UN, Vassily Nebenzia, warned that U.S. actions against Venezuela could set a precedent for the use of force against other Latin American states.
“This intervention which is unfolding can become a template for future acts of force against Latin American states,” he told the council, citing a recent U.S. strategy document on reasserting influence in the Western Hemisphere.
China also urged restraint, with deputy UN ambassador Sun Lei calling on the United States to “immediately halt relevant actions and avoid further escalation of tensions”.
Venezuela, backed by Russia and China, requested Tuesday’s meeting, the second held by the Security Council on the issue. A previous meeting in October saw Washington argue its actions were consistent with Article 51 of the UN Charter, which allows self-defence against armed attack.
Venezuela’s UN ambassador, Samuel Moncada, rejected that justification.
“Let it be clear once and for all that there is no war in the Caribbean,” he told the council, adding that it was “absurd” for the U.S. to invoke the rules of war.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
South African human rights and environmental groups have urged the government to block Israeli-linked Navitas Petroleum from acquiring a stake in a major offshore oil block, citing concerns over the war in Gaza and environmental risks.
Israel and Colombia will waive advance visa requirements for travellers from 1 September as the two countries move to restore diplomatic and economic relations following years of tensions over the war in Gaza.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
The United States imposed fresh sanctions on Hezbollah on Thursday, redesignating the Lebanese group over what Washington described as its actions on behalf of the Iranian government and targeting 10 people accused of moving cash for the group.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment