Türkiye vows continued support for Syria after Israeli airbase strike
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role...
A major power outage swept across San Francisco on Saturday, leaving up to 130,000 customers without electricity, disrupting traffic and forcing some businesses to close temporarily, officials said.
Large parts of the city were affected, according to the Department of Emergency Management and utility officials. Authorities urged residents to call 9-1-1 only for life-threatening emergencies, avoid non-essential travel and treat non-functioning traffic lights as four-way stops.
City officials also issued safety guidance during the outage, advising residents to keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed, turn off major appliances to prevent power surges and avoid using gas stoves, grills or generators indoors because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Traffic congestion was reported in several neighbourhoods as traffic signals went dark, while some shops and services suspended operations because of the lack of power.
The utility Pacific Gas and Electric Company said the outage affected around 130,000 customers at its peak. Crews were working alongside first responders and city officials to restore electricity as quickly and safely as possible.
Later updates indicated that power had been restored to many areas of the city, though about 40,000 customers were expected to remain without electricity overnight.
Officials continued to stress safety precautions, encouraging residents to check on neighbours, particularly older people and those with medical needs, as restoration efforts continued.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Virgin Trains has moved a step closer to challenging Eurostar’s three-decade dominance of Channel Tunnel passenger rail, potentially giving travellers more choice between the UK and mainland Europe.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Nearly 100 days after dozens of children were abducted from a school in northeastern Nigeria's Borno State, parents have taken to the streets to demand urgent government action to bring them home.
China and Indonesia have agreed to strengthen military ties and deepen cooperation in minerals, energy and technology as Jakarta balances relations with Beijing and Washington amid economic and geopolitical tensions.
An international conference in Baku on 21 August is putting Belgium’s colonial record in Africa under renewed scrutiny. Officials, United Nations experts, researchers and human rights advocates are gathering to discuss whether the country has done enough to address the legacy of its rule.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment