AnewZ Morning Brief - 22 February, 2026
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of February, covering the latest developments you need to...
Thousands of farmers have driven tractors into Brussels to protest a proposed trade agreement between the European Union and the South American bloc Mercosur.
The demonstrations come as Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva warned that Brazil would walk away from the agreement entirely if it is not finalised this month, raising the stakes for EU leaders meeting in the Belgian capital.
Farmers from across Europe gathered in Brussels on Thursday, blocking major roads with tractors and disrupting public transport as they voiced opposition to the EU–Mercosur trade deal, which includes Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay.
The European farmers’ federation Copa-Cogeca said around 10,000 demonstrators were expected to take part.
Protesters argue that the agreement would expose European farmers to unfair competition from South American producers operating under looser environmental and labour standards, driving down prices and threatening livelihoods.
Tensions escalated near Place du Luxembourg, close to the European Parliament, where some protesters threw glass bottles and potatoes, set fire to wooden materials from their trailers and launched fireworks. Police responded with tear gas and water cannons to disperse the crowds.
Although demonstrators sought to reach the European Council building, where EU leaders are holding a summit, police barricades prevented access.
Around 150 tractors had reached Brussels by late morning, with several convoys still en route. Authorities temporarily closed major roads, amid severe disruptions on public transport services.
The protests have intensified pressure on EU leaders, who remain split over whether to proceed with the agreement.
French President Emmanuel Macron said the EU must not compromise its farmers or food producers by signing a deal that has not been finalised with sufficient safeguards.
France and Italy have both called for postponing the agreement until stronger protections for European agriculture are in place. They argue that current terms fail to guarantee fair competition and adequate environmental standards.
Germany and Spain, however, remain among the strongest supporters of the deal, saying it would boost European exports at a time of weak economic growth and help diversify trade partnerships as global competition intensifies.
Backers also see Mercosur as a strategic counterweight amid rising tariff pressures from the United States.
Adding urgency to the debate, Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva said on Wednesday that Brazil would no longer sign the agreement if it is not concluded this month.
“If we don’t do it now, Brazil won’t make this deal anymore as long as I’m president,” Lula told a cabinet meeting.
He said Brazil had already made significant concessions and warned that future negotiations would become tougher if the EU failed to act.
Italy and France said earlier they were not ready to back the agreement, dealing a blow to expectations that European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen would travel to Brazil to sign the deal later this week.
As farmers continue to protest in Brussels, the EU faces a narrowing window to resolve internal divisions as risk of a complete deal collapse hangs heavy.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
A seven-month-old Japanese macaque has captured global attention after forming an unusual but heart-warming bond with a stuffed orangutan toy following abandonment by its mother.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of on Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of February, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Islamic State claimed two attacks on Syrian army personnel on Saturday (22 February), saying they marked the start of a new phase of operations against the country’s leadership under President Ahmed al-Sharaa.
Pakistan said it carried out cross-border strikes on militant targets inside Afghanistan after blaming a series of recent suicide bombings, including attacks during the holy month of Ramadan, on fighters it said were operating from Afghan territory.
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has approved new sanctions targeting Russian maritime operators, defence-linked companies and individuals connected to Moscow’s military and energy sectors, according to official decrees issued on Saturday.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of on Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment