Türkiye vows continued support for Syria after Israeli airbase strike
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role...
Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro on Monday pledged his “absolute loyalty” to the Venezuelan people as tensions continue to rise with the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump.
Speaking outside the presidential palace surrounded by senior officials on Monday (1 December), Maduro addressed supporters gathered for a rally organised to swear in new local leaders of the ruling PSUV socialist party.
“Just as I swore before the body of our commander Chávez, before saying farewell to him, absolute loyalty at the cost of my own life and peace, I now swear to you absolute loyalty beyond this life, through this beautiful and heroic story we are living,” Maduro declared, referring to his late predecessor Hugo Chávez.
“Be certain that I will never fail you — never, ever, never.”
Maduro was joined by his wife, Cilia Flores, and Interior Minister Diosdado Cabello, who wore a red baseball cap embroidered with the slogan “doubt is betrayal,” along with other senior officials.
Relations between Caracas and Washington have grown increasingly strained in recent months, following U.S. strikes on alleged drug-smuggling vessels in the Caribbean, threats by Trump to expand military operations onto Venezuelan soil, and the designation of the Cartel de los Soles which the U.S. claims includes Maduro as a foreign terrorist organisation. Maduro and his government have always denied all criminal accusations.
Maduro told Trump during the call last month that he was willing to leave Venezuela provided he and his family members had full legal amnesty, including the removal of all U.S. sanctions and the end of a flagship case he faces before the International Criminal Court, three of the sources said.
He also requested removal of sanctions for more than a 100 Venezuelan government officials, many accused by the U.S. of human rights abuses, drug trafficking or corruption, according to the three people.
Maduro asked that Vice President Delcy Rodriguez run an interim government ahead of new elections, according to two of the sources.
Trump rejected most of his requests on the call, which lasted less than 15 minutes, but told Maduro he had a week to leave Venezuela for the destination of his choice alongside his family members.
That safe passage expired on Friday, prompting Trump to declare on Saturday that Venezuela's airspace was closed, two of the sources said.
It's reported that the sources said on Monday (1 December) that President Trump was set to meet senior advisers to discuss Venezuela, after confirming on Sunday that he had spoken with Maduro in November.
Meanwhile, the Venezuelan National Assembly on Monday postponed an extraordinary session that was due to discuss forming a commission to investigate the recent boat strikes. The Assembly’s press office said the debate was rescheduled for Tuesday, its usual sitting day.
U.S. forces have conducted at least 21 strikes on suspected drug-smuggling boats in the Caribbean and Pacific since September, leaving at least 83 people dead.
Assembly President Jorge Rodríguez had announced Monday’s session after meeting relatives of those killed, saying the move was intended to safeguard the families.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Virgin Trains has moved a step closer to challenging Eurostar’s three-decade dominance of Channel Tunnel passenger rail, potentially giving travellers more choice between the UK and mainland Europe.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Nearly 100 days after dozens of children were abducted from a school in northeastern Nigeria's Borno State, parents have taken to the streets to demand urgent government action to bring them home.
China and Indonesia have agreed to strengthen military ties and deepen cooperation in minerals, energy and technology as Jakarta balances relations with Beijing and Washington amid economic and geopolitical tensions.
An international conference in Baku on 21 August is putting Belgium’s colonial record in Africa under renewed scrutiny. Officials, United Nations experts, researchers and human rights advocates are gathering to discuss whether the country has done enough to address the legacy of its rule.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment