Kazakhstan concludes first Kurultai election with turnout at 74.19%
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following...
Britain is deploying specialists and equipment to Belgium to assist in tackling a series of disruptive drone sightings that have temporarily shut down airports, the head of the UK armed forces said on Sunday.
Over the past week, drones have been observed over several Belgian airports and military sites, part of a wave of incidents that has caused widespread disruption across Europe in recent months.
Admiral Sir Richard Knighton told the BBC that Belgium had requested support, and that personnel and equipment were already being dispatched. “The defence secretary and I agreed at the end of last week that we would send our people and our equipment to Belgium to assist them,” he said, without providing details about the type of equipment or the number of personnel involved.
Knighton added that the source of the drone activity remained unclear but noted that Russia had engaged in “hybrid warfare” tactics in recent years — a claim Moscow denies.
The drone sightings over airports in Brussels and Liege forced the diversion of flights and the grounding of several departures on Tuesday, while similar incidents temporarily closed airports in Sweden on Thursday.
Germany’s defence minister suggested on Friday that the recent drone incidents in Belgium may be linked to discussions over using frozen Russian assets, held by the Belgian firm Euroclear, to finance a substantial loan to Ukraine.
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is set to receive 70,000 doses of the Ebola vaccine Ervebo as health authorities race to contain what has become the country's largest Ebola outbreak on record.
Kazakhstanis went to the polls on Sunday in a snap parliamentary election held under the country’s new constitutional system, which replaces the former two-chamber parliament with a single 145-seat legislature known as the Kurultai.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
Syria expects negotiations with Israel over a security agreement to resume soon despite deep mistrust between the two sides, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said in an interview with Reuters, urging Israel to seize an "historic opportunity" as the door for diplomacy is open.
India's Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off the eastern coast on Sunday after a Panama-flagged cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment