Secret Service kills armed intruder at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort
U.S. Secret Service and local police shot and killed a man armed with a shotgun early on Sunday after he breached a secure perimeter at President Dona...
Sudan’s paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) announced on Thursday that it had accepted a proposal from the United States and Arab powers for a humanitarian ceasefire and expressed readiness to enter talks on a broader cessation of hostilities.
Both the RSF and the Sudanese army have previously agreed to several ceasefire initiatives during their two-and-a-half-year conflict, though none have held. The administration of U.S. President Donald Trump has said it is working to bring an end to the fighting in Sudan.
The statement, to which the Sudanese army has yet to respond, comes less than two weeks after the RSF seized control of the famine-stricken city of al-Fashir, tightening its grip on the vast western region of Darfur.
“The Rapid Support Forces also looks forward to implementing the agreement and immediately commencing discussions on the arrangements for a cessation of hostilities and the fundamental principles guiding the political process in Sudan,” the group said in a statement.
Earlier this week, Sudan’s army-led Security and Defence Council met to discuss the proposal but stopped short of issuing a formal response. Some senior military figures and allies have reportedly voiced their opposition.
In September, the United States, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Egypt jointly called for a three-month humanitarian truce in Sudan, to be followed by a permanent ceasefire.
Witnesses have accused the RSF of killing and abducting civilians during and after its capture of al-Fashir, including carrying out summary executions — allegations that have sparked international alarm. The group’s leader has instructed his fighters to protect civilians and vowed that any violations would be prosecuted.
The conflict between the RSF and the Sudanese army began in April 2023, when the former partners in government clashed over plans to merge their forces.
The fighting has devastated Sudan, leaving tens of thousands dead, driving millions from their homes, and pushing much of the country to the brink of famine.
A seven-month-old Japanese macaque has drawn international attention after forming an unusual bond with a stuffed orangutan toy after being rejected by its mother.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of on Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Hungary announced on Friday it was blocking a €90 billion ($106 billion) European Union loan intended to support Ukraine’s 2026–2027 budget and military needs, citing disruptions to Russian oil deliveries via the Druzhba pipeline.
U.S. President Donald Trump said he plans to send a hospital ship to Greenland with Louisiana Governor Jeff Landry, drawing a quick rejection from Greenland’s prime minister.
U.S. Secret Service and local police shot and killed a man armed with a shotgun early on Sunday after he breached a secure perimeter at President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Florida, law enforcement officials said.
U.S. President Donald Trump is weighing why Tehran has not moved toward limiting its nuclear programme even as Washington expands its military presence across the Middle East.
Comments by U.S. Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee suggesting that Israel had a biblical right to much of the Middle East drew condemnation over the weekend from countries across the region, which described the remarks as “dangerous and inflammatory”.
Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva has said he will urge U.S. President Donald Trump to avoid a "new Cold War" when the two leaders meet in Washington next month.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment