Uzbekistan faces $1.5 billion hit if Middle East tensions disrupt Iran trade route
Uzbekistan could lose up to $1.5 billion if escalating Middle East tensions disrupt vital trade and logistics routes through Iran, putting pressure...
A French court has postponed the trial of a suspect linked to the Louvre jewellery heist in a separate case, citing heavy media scrutiny and concerns about the fairness of the proceedings.
A court in Bobigny, north of Paris, has postponed the trial of a man connected to the Louvre jewellery heist in a separate legal matter, citing the intense media attention surrounding the case and its potential impact on judicial fairness.
The suspect was due to face trial on charges of damaging public property, but the hearing has now been rescheduled for April, the court announced on Wednesday.
His defence team — comprising four lawyers — argued that the extraordinary public interest in the Louvre case made it impossible to prepare adequately for the proceedings.
“We will be extremely vigilant about several aspects — first and foremost, the respect for the presumption of innocence and for due process,” said Maxime Cavaillé, one of the lawyers.
Cavaillé added that the legal team would ensure their client’s privacy is protected despite what he described as the “extraordinary nature” of the Louvre affair.
The defence declined to provide further details about the separate case or their client’s alleged involvement in the high-profile robbery, which has attracted widespread media coverage both in France and abroad.
The Louvre heist, involving the theft of valuable jewels from a luxury exhibition, remains one of France’s most talked-about criminal cases in recent years.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
Russia has summoned Japan’s ambassador to Moscow and delivered a strong protest over what it called “anti-Russian” remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi concerning four disputed islands.
Pakistan is turning to more U.S. crude as disruption around the Strait of Hormuz exposes the risks of its heavy reliance on Gulf energy supplies.
U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea's Defence Ministry on Tuesday to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.
European countries are stepping up investment in drones and counter-drone technology as unmanned systems reshape modern warfare, driving demand for new production and capabilities across the continent.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment