live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
APEC countries are close to agreeing a joint trade declaration at their annual summit in South Korea, the host’s foreign minister has said, following U.S. President Donald Trump’s early exit.
Members of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) forum are nearing agreement on a joint declaration addressing trade and global economic concerns, South Korea’s Foreign Minister Cho Hyun said on Thursday, ahead of the summit’s formal opening on Friday in Gyeongju.
“We are very close,” Cho told reporters after chairing a ministerial meeting. While talks continued over the wording of both the ministerial and leaders’ declarations, he said he was hopeful a final statement would be adopted by the time the summit concludes on Saturday.
The 21-member APEC forum is a non-binding grouping that accounts for 50 % of global trade and 61 % of the world’s GDP. This year’s meeting has been shaped by tensions over protectionist policies, with several nations raising concerns about non-tariff barriers and fragile supply chains.
U.S. President Donald Trump departed South Korea on Thursday after finalising a trade deal with China and formalising a tariff agreement with Seoul a day earlier. His latest agreements follow a string of side-line deals made during a Southeast Asia summit in Malaysia earlier in the week.
“It is in line with our interest for the U.S. and China to find a balance and stabilise supply chains and other issues,” South Korea’s Trade Minister Yeo Han-koo said at the joint briefing, calling both countries “our biggest trading partners.”
Yeo noted that most APEC members recognised ongoing challenges in the form of protectionism, non-tariff barriers and broader geopolitical uncertainties.
Cho added that tariffs were only part of the problem undermining the global trade system. “There are several issues such as problems facing global value chains,” he said.
APEC failed to adopt a joint declaration in both 2018 and 2019, during Trump’s first term, due to disagreements between member states. Officials say a successful outcome this year would signal renewed commitment to open trade in the region.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, its defence minister said on Thursday, citing a range significantly higher than U.S. President Donald Trump's recent assertion that Pyongyang has 57 nuclear weapons.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least twelve people and injured more than two dozen others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment