Australia condemns Israel over closure of Gaza aid worker case
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom ...
A body was recovered in Gaza’s southern city of Khan Younis on Tuesday (October 28) during ongoing efforts to locate hostages taken by Hamas during its October 2023 assault on southern Israel.
Footage obtained by Reuters showed masked Hamas militants entering a tunnel before emerging with a body on a stretcher and transferring it to an ambulance as onlookers applauded near the excavation site.
Hamas’s armed wing, the Al-Qassam Brigades, said it had planned to hand over the recovered body on Tuesday but decided to postpone the transfer, accusing Israel of violating the fragile ceasefire currently in place. The group warned that renewed Israeli attacks would “hinder search and recovery operations” and delay the return of the remains of Israeli soldiers.
The announcement came as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered the military to carry out what he called “forceful strikes” on Gaza, alleging that Hamas had breached the ceasefire by attacking Israeli forces in an area under Israeli control. His office did not specify the details of the incident, but an Israeli military official confirmed that a ceasefire violation had occurred.
Earlier, Netanyahu said DNA tests had shown that remains handed over on Monday belonged to a hostage recovered earlier in the conflict, and not to one of the 13 people still listed as missing.
In response, Hamas claimed it had abided by the truce and accused Israel of seeking pretexts to resume large-scale military operations. “Netanyahu is looking for excuses to back away from Israel’s obligations,” the group said in a statement on Telegram.
The developments come as tensions remain high in Gaza, where sporadic clashes and mutual accusations threaten to unravel the three-week-old ceasefire agreement mediated by international partners.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment