Pakistan adds 12 sites to UNESCO tentative list, taking total to 37
Pakistan says it has added 12 sites to its UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List, taking the total from 25 to 37 and widening the country's r...
Escalating gang violence in Haiti has displaced 680,000 children, nearly twice as many as last year, as armed groups seize more territory and basic services collapse, UNICEF warned on Wednesday.
More than 6 million people, including 3.3 million children, now need urgent humanitarian assistance in Haiti, according to UNICEF. The agency says the surge in violence and displacement highlights growing risks to millions, especially children.
“Children in Haiti are experiencing violence and displacement at a terrifying scale,” said UNICEF Executive Director Catherine Russell.
“Each time they are forced to flee, they lose not only their homes but also their chance to go to school, and simply to be children.”
The crisis is worsening by the numbers: more than 1 million children face severe food insecurity, while around 288,500 under-fives are projected to suffer from acute malnutrition next year according to UNICEF.
Armed groups now control areas home to 2.7 million people, and more than 1.3 million have been forced to flee, including 246,000 already displaced this year.
Gangs have tightened their grip on much of the country, overwhelming police and forcing aid groups to scale back. The United Nations Security Council recently approved a U.S.-backed plan to boost an international security mission, but the force remains underfunded and under-equipped more than 15 months after its launch.
UNICEF is urging immediate global funding to expand life-saving aid, from shelter and healthcare to clean water and education, warning that critical programmes for Haiti’s children are at risk.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role in the country.
Iran has condemned new U.S. sanctions as “economic terrorism” and “crimes against humanity”, accusing Washington of pursuing a decades-long policy of hostility. Tehran said the measures would not weaken its resolve to defend its sovereignty and national interests.
Tunisian authorities have recovered the bodies of four migrants after a boat carrying 15 people capsized off the southeastern coast, with search operations continuing for those still missing, according to a migrant rights group.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
The United States has imposed 50% tariffs on a range of Canadian goods after Washington and Ottawa failed to reach a new trade agreement, with both sides accusing the other of derailing negotiations at the final stage.
Türkiye has asked Interpol to issue a red notice for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a criminal case linked to Israel’s interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla carrying humanitarian aid to Gaza, Justice Minister Akın Gürlek said on Friday.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment