U.S.-Saudi nuclear pact faces criticism over weaker safeguards, lawmakers warn
A proposed nuclear cooperation agreement between the United States and Saudi Arabia is facing criticism from Democratic lawmakers and non-prolifera...
South Korean President Lee Jae Myung has vowed a “significant improvement” in the security of government administrative systems after a major fire at the national data centre brought online services across the country to a halt.
Speaking at a meeting with dozens of ministers and senior officials, Lee voiced concern over the disruption to shipping, postal and financial services ahead of the Chuseok mid-autumn holiday in October. He added that services such as passport issuance and welfare assistance for disadvantaged citizens were also being affected.
The blaze, which broke out on Friday at the National Information Resources Service in the city of Daejeon, was extinguished on Saturday. The centre serves as a cloud hub for many government services and databases in South Korea, a country renowned for its advanced digital infrastructure.
Authorities suspect the fire was triggered by an explosion of a battery manufactured by LG Energy Solution during maintenance work, damaging some servers and forcing hundreds more offline. LG Energy Solution has declined to comment while the case remains under investigation. Firefighters removed the burnt batteries and handed them over to investigators, the safety ministry said on Sunday.
Lee criticised the lack of an adequate contingency plan, saying the country must develop a “dual system” to ensure data security in emergencies. “I don’t understand why we don’t have an emergency plan for this kind of predictable event,” he told officials, calling for new budget proposals to prevent future incidents and for a full investigation into the fire.
According to the safety ministry, work is under way to restore 551 of 647 administrative systems affected. Officials said that 99% of key security equipment and at least half of the damaged network facilities had already been brought back online.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
Azerbaijan and Georgia have agreed to resume daily passenger train services on the Baku-Tbilisi-Baku route from 26 May, 2026, marking a major step in restoring regional rail connectivity after services were suspended in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
A proposed nuclear cooperation agreement between the United States and Saudi Arabia is facing criticism from Democratic lawmakers and non-proliferation experts, who say the deal lacks the strongest safeguards designed to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons.
Germany will deploy a Patriot air-defence battery to Türkiye in the coming weeks as part of a NATO mission aimed at strengthening the alliance’s south-eastern flank, German officials have said.
Estonia said on Tuesday (19 May) that a NATO fighter jet shot down a suspected Ukrainian drone over its territory, in the latest reported airspace violation in the region amid ongoing Ukrainian strikes against Russia.
Sweden has agreed to buy four naval frigates from France’s Naval Group in a deal worth more than $4 billion, as Stockholm moves to strengthen its defence capabilities in the Baltic Sea, Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said on Tuesday.
Spanish police said on Tuesday they had detained a 25-year-old man suspected of killing his two parents and injuring four other people, including his son, in a shooting in the southern city of El Ejido in Almeria province overnight.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment