live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
Lebanon’s cabinet on Friday endorsed an army plan to disarm Hezbollah as Shi’ite ministers stage walk out in protest.
The decision follows last year’s war with Israel, which unsettled Lebanon’s fragile political balance and renewed debate over the future of the Iran-backed Shi’ite group’s weapons.
Officials however warned that implementation would be slow given the military’s limited capabilities.
Calls for Hezbollah to disarm have grown louder from the United States, Saudi Arabia and Hezbollah’s mainly Christian and Sunni rivals in Lebanon.
Hezbollah has rejected the push, arguing that even discussing disarmament would be reckless while Israeli air strikes continue and southern territory remains under occupation.
Four people were killed in Israeli strikes on Wednesday.
Friday’s three-hour cabinet session included a presentation by army commander Rodolphe Haykal. All five Shi’ite ministers left the meeting in protest when he entered the room.
Information Minister Paul Morcos said afterwards that the government “welcomed” the plan but stopped short of calling it an official cabinet decision.
He added that the army would begin applying it in line with its “logistical, material and personnel capabilities,” which could require additional time and effort. He said details of the plan would remain secret.
Labour Minister Mohammad Haidar, who is aligned with Hezbollah, told local media that any decision taken without Shi’ite participation was invalid, citing Lebanon’s sectarian power-sharing system.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz is facing growing pressure as his approval ratings fall and the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party gains support.
The U.S. imposed sanctions on the International Criminal Court's (ICC) President Tomoko Akane and a senior trial lawyer at the court Abdoulaye Seye on Tuesday, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said.
Apple has announced a major overhaul of its business terms for apps distributed in the European Union, introducing a five per cent commission on digital transactions outside its App Store and simplifying its fee structure as it seeks to comply with the bloc’s Digital Markets Act (DMA).
A record number of humanitarian workers were killed, injured or kidnapped in 2025, with the growing use of armed drones contributing to mounting risks in conflict zones, the United Nations said on Wednesday.
Former Ukrainian Defence Minister Mykhailo Fedorov has called for elections despite the war with Russia, mounting what is widely seen as the biggest domestic political challenge to President Volodymyr Zelenskyy since Moscow launched its full-scale invasion.
At least nine people were killed, including a child, in a fire at a hotel in India's eastern city of Kolkata on Wednesday, local police said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment