Türkiye vows continued support for Syria after Israeli airbase strike
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role...
Tens of thousands of people staged a silent march in Belgrade on Monday (September 1) to honour the 16 victims of a collapsed roof at a renovated railway station, while calling for snap elections aimed at unseating President Aleksandar Vucic and his ruling SNS party.
The demonstration, organised by high school pupils, began around 7 p.m. (1700 GMT) in front of Belgrade’s old railway station. Sixteen pupils walked across Savski Trg square, each carrying a white rose, as the names of the victims were read aloud.
Similar gatherings took place in other Serbian cities, including Novi Sad, Kragujevac and Aleksinac.
The rallies follow months of protests across Serbia, initially sparked by the deaths of 16 people last November, which have presented a challenge to Vucic and his party.
While demonstrations had been largely peaceful, clashes on August 13 left dozens of police officers and civilians injured. Protesters have linked the Novi Sad railway station disaster to corruption and are pressing for early elections.
Students, opposition parties and anti-corruption groups have accused Vucic and his allies of connections to organised crime, political violence, and restrictions on media freedom — allegations that the president and his party reject.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Virgin Trains has moved a step closer to challenging Eurostar’s three-decade dominance of Channel Tunnel passenger rail, potentially giving travellers more choice between the UK and mainland Europe.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Nearly 100 days after dozens of children were abducted from a school in northeastern Nigeria's Borno State, parents have taken to the streets to demand urgent government action to bring them home.
China and Indonesia have agreed to strengthen military ties and deepen cooperation in minerals, energy and technology as Jakarta balances relations with Beijing and Washington amid economic and geopolitical tensions.
An international conference in Baku on 21 August is putting Belgium’s colonial record in Africa under renewed scrutiny. Officials, United Nations experts, researchers and human rights advocates are gathering to discuss whether the country has done enough to address the legacy of its rule.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment