Trump: Airspace above and surrounding Venezuela to be closed
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday that the airspace above and surrounding Venezuela should be considered "closed in its entirety", but gave...
Ursula von der Leyen has defended the EU-U.S. tariff agreement, calling it a "conscious decision" that prevented a trade war, while responding to Mario Draghi's criticism of the EU's influence in global trade.
Ursula von der Leyen has reaffirmed that the tariff agreement between the EU and the US was a "conscious decision" that successfully avoided a trade war. The European Commission President addressed the issue in an article published on Sunday in several European newspapers, including Italy’s Il Sole 24 Ore and Germany’s Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. Her comments were partly a response to criticism from former ECB chief and ex-Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi, who had criticized the EU’s perceived "absence" on tariffs and trade wars in a speech on Friday.
In the article, von der Leyen argued, “Imagine if the two largest economies in the democratic world had failed to reach an agreement and started a trade war. This would have been celebrated only in Moscow and Beijing.” Regarding the 15% cap on US tariffs covering a range of products such as cars, pharmaceuticals, semiconductors, and timber, she described the agreement as "good, if not perfect." She reminded readers that tariffs are essentially taxes that burden both consumers and businesses, raising costs, reducing choice, and weakening the competitiveness of economies.
Von der Leyen also pointed out that the deal with the Trump administration provided Europe with other trade benefits. However, she emphasized that the EU is working to diversify its export markets. "We’ve recently concluded trade agreements with Mexico and Mercosur, strengthened relations with Switzerland and the UK, and completed talks with Indonesia. We aim to finalize a deal with India by year’s end," she wrote. In conclusion, von der Leyen called for a "strong and independent" Europe, urging the completion of the single market and bolstering competitiveness and sustainability.
Mario Draghi, meanwhile, had warned at the annual Rimini Meeting on Friday that "for years, the European Union believed that its economic size, with 450 million consumers, brought with it geopolitical power and influence in international trade relations. This year will be remembered as the year in which this illusion evaporated." Last year, Draghi presented a report outlining ideas to accelerate the EU’s economic growth, stressing the need for adaptation to ensure the bloc’s survival.
At least 47 people have died and another 21 are reported missing following ten days of heavy rainfall, floods, and landslides across Sri Lanka, local media reported on Thursday (27 November).
Hong Kong fire authorities said they expected to wrap up search and rescue operations on Friday after the city's worst fire in nearly 80 years tore through a massive apartment complex, killing at least 128 people, injuring 79 and leaving around 200 still missing.
U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth visited sailors aboard the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier in the Latin American region on Thursday, amid a military buildup by President Donald Trump’s administration that has heightened tensions with Venezuela.
At least 153 people have been killed in Sri Lanka after landslides and flooding caused by Cyclone Ditwah, officials said on Saturday, with 191 others missing and more than half a million affected nationwide.
The Spanish agricultural sector has been placed on high alert following the confirmation that African Swine Fever (ASF) has resurfaced in the country for the first time in over thirty years.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday that the airspace above and surrounding Venezuela should be considered "closed in its entirety", but gave no further details as Washington ramps up pressure on President Nicolas Maduro's government.
China announced a sweeping inspection of fire-safety standards in high-rise buildings nationwide on Saturday after a deadly fire in Hong Kong left at least 128 people dead.
The death toll from floods and landslides following cyclonic rains in the Indonesian island of Sumatra has risen to 303, the head of the country's disaster mitigation agency said on Saturday, up from a previous figure of 174.
Hong Kong on Saturday mourned the 128 people known to have died in a massive fire at a high-rise apartment complex, a toll that is likely to rise with 150 still missing days after the disaster.
The global recall of Airbus A320 aircraft has triggered widespread disruption across several major airlines, forcing flight cancellations in the United States, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment