live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
Fires in Spain’s northwestern Zamora province forced residents to prepare for evacuation from their homes on Thursday as the country endured one of its most destructive wildfire seasons in 20 years, fuelled by extreme heat and suspected arson.
Smoke turned the skies orange-red as blazes spread across rural areas, driven by one of the country’s longest heatwaves on record.
In the village of Pias, residents said they're prepared to flee.
“It’s bad because we have fire everywhere, so we will try and get out. We are ready to go. When they tell us we can, we will go,” said local resident Maripaz.
Nearby in Villanueva de la Sierra, residents worked to create firebreaks using tractors.
“In the village some people have tractors and they have made a firewall in a flat area with fewer hills. We are waiting for the fire to come down to try and stop it, so it does not get to the houses in the village,” said 52-year-old teacher Loli Baz.
Spain has already lost about 148,000 hectares (571 square miles) to wildfires this year, the second-highest total since 2006, according to the European Forest Fire Information System. That accounts for more than a quarter of the land burned in the European Union so far in 2025.
Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska said two Canadair water-bombing planes from France arrived on Thursday after Spain requested European assistance.
Police in Zamora arrested a man accused of allegedly starting a fire on land used for illegal rubbish dumping. The blaze spread quickly in the hot weather, burning 4,000 hectares (15.4 square miles) and injuring five people.
Authorities said 10 people have been arrested since 1 June in connection with wildfires, with investigations ongoing into another 38 suspected cases of deliberate arson. Convicted arsonists face up to five years in prison and substantial fines.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz is facing growing pressure as his approval ratings fall and the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party gains support.
The U.S. imposed sanctions on the International Criminal Court's (ICC) President Tomoko Akane and a senior trial lawyer at the court Abdoulaye Seye on Tuesday, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said.
Apple has announced a major overhaul of its business terms for apps distributed in the European Union, introducing a five per cent commission on digital transactions outside its App Store and simplifying its fee structure as it seeks to comply with the bloc’s Digital Markets Act (DMA).
A record number of humanitarian workers were killed, injured or kidnapped in 2025, with the growing use of armed drones contributing to mounting risks in conflict zones, the United Nations said on Wednesday.
Former Ukrainian Defence Minister Mykhailo Fedorov has called for elections despite the war with Russia, mounting what is widely seen as the biggest domestic political challenge to President Volodymyr Zelenskyy since Moscow launched its full-scale invasion.
At least nine people were killed, including a child, in a fire at a hotel in India's eastern city of Kolkata on Wednesday, local police said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment