Israeli strike kills six in Gaza as Trump peace plan stalls
At least six Palestinians have been killed in an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City, according to Palestinian health officials, as efforts by U.S. Pres...
South Korea’s National Assembly Speaker Woo Won-shik has urged the reopening of dialogue with North Korea, saying channels of communication must stay open despite Pyongyang’s recent rejection of talks.
Woo made the appeal on Wednesday during the Sixth World Conference of Speakers of Parliament in Switzerland, Yonhap News Agency reported.
He noted that both sides had halted loudspeaker broadcasts, propaganda leaflets and jamming signals, describing these measures as symbolic of confrontation and hostility.
“Despite the difficulties, channels for dialogue must remain open,” Woo said.
His comments came two days after Kim Yo Jong, sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, dismissed Seoul’s offer for talks and criticised President Lee Jae-myung’s efforts to ease military tensions.
Since taking office last month, President Lee has suspended border propaganda broadcasts and called on civic groups to stop anti-Pyongyang activities, signalling a commitment to restoring dialogue.
Kim Yo Jong said Pyongyang would not engage with Seoul, accusing Lee of maintaining the same stance as his predecessor by adhering to the South Korea-U.S. alliance and pursuing confrontation.
Relations between the two Koreas remain strained, with formal talks stalled since 2019 after failed nuclear negotiations between the U.S. and North Korea.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
U.S. President Donald Trump has paused a planned 50 per cent tariff increase on Canadian goods for three days, saying Washington and Ottawa had reached a preliminary agreement.
A federal judge has allowed the Trump administration to move forward with ending Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for thousands of Ethiopian nationals living in the United States, removing one of the last major legal obstacles to a broader effort to roll back humanitarian immigration protections.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment