live WUF13 comes to a close as sustainable reconstruction and resettlement feature on final day
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion ...
Eight Turkish soldiers have died after inhaling methane gas while searching a cave in northern Iraq, according to Türkiye’s defence ministry.
According to the ministry, the incident took place at a 852-metre-high hill in the Pençe-Kilit Operation area, where the soldiers were continuing efforts to locate the remains of Infantry Lieutenant Nuri Melih Bozkurt. He was killed during a firefight with terrorists in the same area on 28 May 2022.
Despite securing the region, the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) had been unable to retrieve Bozkurt's body. Specially trained teams were conducting renewed searches when 19 personnel were exposed to high concentrations of methane gas inside a cave once used as a field hospital by the PKK. Five of the affected soldiers died despite all medical interventions. The remaining personnel are being treated in hospital.
The ministry said fully equipped TSK and AFAD teams are continuing coordinated rescue operations in the area.
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan expressed his condolences. “I received the news of the martyrdom of our heroic soldiers with deep sorrow. I offer my condolences to their families, the Turkish Armed Forces, and our nation. I also wish a speedy recovery to those still under treatment.”
The fallen soldiers have been identified, and condolences were extended to the families of Private Contracted Soldiers Özkan Özkanlı, Ahmet Kuşak, and Lieutenant Ege Akar. Emotional scenes unfolded as news reached their homes in Aksaray, Balıkesir and İzmir.
Parliament Speaker Numan Kurtulmuş and Vice President Cevdet Yılmaz also issued condolence messages.
In a statement, Communications Director Fahrettin Altun said, “This painful incident deeply saddened our nation. Citizens are advised to rely only on official sources and avoid misinformation.”
Azerbaijan's Defence Minister Zakir Hasanov also conveyed his condolences to his Turkish counterpart Yaşar Güler, affirming support for Türkiye in its fight against terrorism.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
NATO fighter jets were activated on Thursday (21 May) after at least one drone entered Latvian airspace, according to Latvia’s armed forces, marking the latest in a series of security incidents across the Baltic region linked to the war in Ukraine.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić said he was pessimistic that an agreement would be reached before Friday’s deadline regarding Hungarian oil company MOL group's bid to acquire a majority stake in Naftna Industrija Srbije (NIS), the operator of Serbia’s only oil refinery.
U.S. President Donald Trump surprised NATO allies by announcing plans to deploy an additional 5,000 American troops to Poland, just hours before Secretary of State Marco Rubio was due to meet alliance ministers in Sweden on Friday against the backdrop of growing divisions over the Iran war.
SpaceX stopped the launch of its 12th Starship rocket from Texas on Thursday and said it will attempt the high-stakes test flight again on Friday, as Elon Musk's space company nears a record-breaking public listing.
The U.S. has arrested Adys Lastres Morera, the sister of the head of GAESA, a military-run business group which owns Cuba’s most profitable enterprises, including the island’s five-star hotels, and its largest port.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 22nd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment