Government weighs removing Andrew from royal succession line
UK politicians have renewed calls for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly Prince Andrew, to be removed from the line of succession following his arre...
Italy aims to begin testing a delayed cable car project in January as it seeks to ease transport pressure at the Milan–Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics, despite the challenges of construction in mountainous terrain.
Italy is planning to start testing in January a delayed cable car project designed to improve access to competition venues at the 2026 Winter Olympics, officials said on Thursday.
The Apollonio–Socrepes cableway in the Alpine resort of Cortina d’Ampezzo, designed to transport up to 2,400 people per hour, is scheduled to be completed by the end of the month, according to Fabio Saldini, commissioner and chief executive of Italy’s Olympic infrastructure agency Simico.
Saldini said the project, while not essential for hosting the Games, would provide an additional transport option and help reduce reliance on private vehicles by allowing spectators to reach venues more easily.
The cable car is intended to relieve congestion in Cortina, which has no rail connection and relies heavily on road access that can become crowded during peak periods.
Delays to the project last year forced local organisers to limit the number of tickets available for events in Cortina, underlining broader transport challenges facing the Milan–Cortina 2026 Olympics, which will be spread across multiple locations in northern Italy.
Saldini said installation of the electromechanical components is currently underway, with testing expected to begin in the third week of January. He expressed confidence that the project would be ready, while noting that construction in mountainous areas remains dependent on weather conditions.
Asked whether the cable car would be operational for the Olympics, Saldini said work was continuing with that objective, stressing that safety, quality and adherence to timelines and costs remain priorities.
Cortina d’Ampezzo, located in the Dolomites, last hosted the Winter Olympics in 1956.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
The Board of Peace will be "looking over the United Nations," said U.S. President Donald Trump at the inaugural Washington meeting, where representatives from over 20 countries gathered to unveil plans for Gaza’s reconstruction and coordinate international support.
At least four people have died and 17 others were injured after a liquid gas truck overturned and exploded in Santiago, Chile’s capital, authorities confirmed on Thursday. Police said the driver was among those killed.
Kazakhstan has entered the world’s top 50 economies by GDP in 2026, ranking 50th with a projected nominal output of $320 billion. The result reflects sustained growth, structural reforms and the country’s rising role as a regional economic hub.
The Armenian Cabinet has approved a military-technical cooperation agreement (MTC) with Poland, which will be forwarded to parliament for ratification following its signing, according to Armenian media.
UK politicians have renewed calls for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly Prince Andrew, to be removed from the line of succession following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office and revelations over his links to convicted U.S. sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 21st of February, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Police in Tirana fired tear gas and used water cannon in clashes on Friday (20 February) with opposition protesters demanding the resignation of the Albanian government following corruption allegations against the deputy prime minister.
U.S. President Donald Trump will travel to China from 31 March to 2 April, the White House has confirmed, for talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping as a U.S. Supreme Court ruling reshapes his tariff policy.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday that its life‑saving food and nutrition assistance in Somalia could end by April without urgent funding, leaving millions at risk of severe hunger.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment