live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi warned of “significant consequences” if Europe pushes for reimposing UN nuclear sanctions, stressing it would end E3 participation in the 2015 deal, following an unproductive meeting in Istanbul.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has warned Europe it will bear “significant consequences” if the UN nuclear sanctions are re-imposed against Tehran, after senior Iranian, French, German and UK diplomats met in Istanbul last Friday without a major breakthrough.
In an interview with the Saudi-based Arabic Language TV Asharq News, he strongly cautioned the European statesmen that a re-installment of the UN sanctions under the nuclear deal signed in Vienna in 2015 will terminate participation of the E3 parties -- France, Germany and the UK -- in the agreement.
He said that the E3’s potential move to call for re-imposing of sanctions risks serious consequences and potential irreversible escalation of tensions, referring to the likelihood of strong retaliatory steps that the Islamic Republic could take in response, Press TV quoted the Iranian minister saying.
"The situation we're in is by no means Iran's fault. It is the fault of the United States, which withdrew from the JCPoA (2015 nuclear agreement), and the fault of the European countries that failed to compensate for the US’s withdrawal," Araghchi said.
In comments published by the French weekly Le Point, Iran’s foreign minister warned the European troika of consequences of re-imposition of UN sanctions known as the “snapback” mechanism. The mechanism provided for in the 2015 nuclear agreement enables UN sanctions to be reinstated in the event of Tehran failing to meet its commitments.
The E3 which previously helped to bring in the US to its nuclear talks with Iran in 2000s, seems frustrated over being sidelined in the current Iran-US talks. Back in early 2000s, the European troika was the only party to Iran’s nuclear negotiations, but after its agreements with Iran could not be implemented because of opposition of the US, a new format of EU3+3 was devised and put to action.
By late 2000s, the US, China, and Russia -- three permanent members of the UN Security Council – had joined the Iran-E3 talks (also known as P5+1) ultimately leading to signing of the JCPoA deal and adoption of the UN Resolution 2231 same year lifting UN imposed sanctions on Iran’s nuclear program.
Ironically, the E3 which previously helped to bring in the US to its talks with Iran, seems upset over being kept out of the Iran-US talks. These negotiations are taking place after US President Donald Trump wrote a letter in March to Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei.
The same Trump withdrew from the Iran nuclear deal in 2018 and reimposed sanctions on Tehran. However, a lesser trust by Trump 2.0 in the US-Europe transatlantic alliance may have increased concerns in Berlin, London and Paris about his administration’s role in the current Iran-US nuclear discussions.
Following the Iran-E3 discussions in Istanbul which also included a meeting with the EU Deputy Foreign Policy Chief Olof Skoog, an Iranian negotiator said both sides want to move on the track of diplomacy.
Deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs Kazem Gharibabadi said Iran and E3 agreed to meet again if it was necessary.
Whereas both Iran the US have termed their ongoing talks as positive, there was not a statement from the European side about the meeting in Istanbul and future of their talks on the 2015 nuclear agreement.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Azerbaijan’s support for Ukraine could provide a model for neighbouring countries seeking to strengthen their sovereignty, the director of development at an organisation supporting Ukraine’s armed forces has told AnewZ.
Two days inside Uzbekistan’s newsrooms, hospitals, factories and technology hubs reveal a country eager to show how it is changing — while that transformation is still under way.
Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani arrived in Islamabad on Wednesday for a two-day visit, marking the first trip by Syria’s top diplomat to Pakistan in 19 years as Damascus seeks to deepen ties with the country.
More than a year after Pakistan and India were involved in their most serious military confrontation in decades, a key airspace restriction between the nuclear-armed neighbours remains in force.
Uzbekistan has unveiled a sweeping package of business reforms, including easier access to loans, $1 billion in export support, a three-year moratorium on most inspections and stronger protections for entrepreneurs.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment