Hong Kong mourns 128 victims of apartment complex fire
Hong Kong on Saturday mourned the 128 people known to have died in a massive fire at a high-rise apartment complex, a toll that is likely to rise with...
South Sudan and Israel have held talks on a plan to resettle Palestinians from war-torn Gaza in the African nation, three sources told Reuters, though Palestinian leaders have called the idea unacceptable.
The sources, who requested anonymity, said no agreement had been reached but discussions were ongoing.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office and foreign ministry did not respond to requests for comment. The U.S. State Department declined to speak about what it called “private diplomatic conversations.”
Netanyahu has said he intends to extend military control in Gaza and has suggested that Palestinians leave voluntarily. Arab and world leaders have rejected any relocation, with Palestinians warning it would be another “Nakba” – a reference to the mass displacement of 1948.
The three sources said the relocation idea was raised during meetings between Israeli officials and South Sudanese Foreign Minister Monday Semaya Kumba during his visit last month. That contradicts South Sudan’s foreign ministry, which has called earlier reports “baseless.” The ministry did not respond to requests for comment on Friday.
Wasel Abu Youssef of the Palestine Liberation Organization said Palestinians “reject any plan or idea to displace any of our people to South Sudan or to any other place.” President Mahmoud Abbas’ office issued a similar statement on Thursday. Hamas has not commented.
Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister Sharren Haskel, visiting Juba this week, told reporters relocation was not discussed, saying talks covered foreign policy, multilateral organisations, South Sudan’s humanitarian crisis, and the war.
Netanyahu has said Israel is in contact with several countries to find destinations for Palestinians who want to leave Gaza, without providing details.
At least 47 people have died and another 21 are reported missing following ten days of heavy rainfall, floods, and landslides across Sri Lanka, local media reported on Thursday (27 November).
Hong Kong fire authorities said they expected to wrap up search and rescue operations on Friday after the city's worst fire in nearly 80 years tore through a massive apartment complex, killing at least 128 people, injuring 79 and leaving around 200 still missing.
U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth visited sailors aboard the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier in the Latin American region on Thursday, amid a military buildup by President Donald Trump’s administration that has heightened tensions with Venezuela.
Rescuers in Sri Lanka are racing against rising floodwaters and treacherous terrain today after a powerful storm system slammed into the island nation, killing at least 46 people and displacing tens of thousands in a disaster that threatens to strain the country’s resources.
The Spanish agricultural sector has been placed on high alert following the confirmation that African Swine Fever (ASF) has resurfaced in the country for the first time in over thirty years.
U.S. investigators have recovered the black box recorders from the wreckage of a UPS cargo plane that crashed in flames on takeoff in Louisville, Kentucky. At least twelve people died. The crash sent a wall of fire into an industrial corridor and forced the shutdown of the airport.
Hezbollah chief Naim Qassem said on Friday that the group retains the right to respond to Israel’s killing of its top military commander, leaving open the possibility of a new conflict with the country.
Asaad al-Shaibani calls Israel's attack on Beit Jinn 'treacherous assault’ on civilians that threatens regional peace and security.
At least 13 people — including women and children — were killed, and many others wounded early Friday in an Israeli attack on the town of Beit Jinn and the road to Mazraat Beit Jinn in the Damascus countryside, according to Syrian media and local sources.
The 12th meeting of the State Commission on the delimitation of the Azerbaijan–Armenia border, along with the corresponding Armenian commission on border delimitation and security, took place on 28 November in Gabala, Azerbaijan.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment