Kazakhstan enters the world’s top 50 economies
Kazakhstan has entered the world’s top 50 economies by GDP in 2026, ranking 50th with a projected nominal output of $320 billion. The result reflect...
Giorgi Bachiashvili, the former head of the Co-Investment Fund founded by former Georgian Prime Minister Bidzina Ivanishvili, has been released from prison following a plea agreement with prosecutors.
Bachiashvili was initially charged in July 2023 with embezzling 8,253.13 bitcoins valued at about $39 million at the time, as well as laundering illicit proceeds. Prosecutors alleged that the cryptocurrency was linked to a project connected to Bidzina Ivanishvili. In March 2025, Tbilisi City Court sentenced him in absentia to 11 years in prison in the cryptocurrency case.
The Georgian Prosecutor’s Office said Bachiashvili had fully admitted his guilt in all criminal cases against him, cooperated with investigators and compensated for damages. Under the agreement, he received a one-year suspended sentence and a fine of 50,000 lari ($18,700). He had already served approximately nine months in detention.
He was also convicted of illegal border crossing and sentenced to additional four years and six months, bringing his total sentence to more than 15 years.
In a separate case related to the Mtkvari hydropower plant project, prosecutors accused him of failing to properly perform his duties, resulting in significant financial losses. That charge carries a potential prison term of two to five years.
In March 2025, Bachiashvili left Georgia while on trial, later stating that he had done so due to security concerns. In May, the State Security Service said he was detained near the Armenian-Georgian border and returned to Tbilisi. Bachiashvili claimed he had been abducted from abroad and forcibly brought back. Authorities denied wrongdoing.
Prosecutors also dropped charges against Bachiashvili’s parents, who had previously been accused of assisting in money laundering.
Bachiashvili served as chief executive of the Co-Investment Fund from 2013 to 2019 and later chaired its advisory board. His legal proceedings have now formally concluded under the plea agreement.
The drumbeats have finally faded at the Marquês de Sapucaí, bringing the competitive phase of the Rio Carnival 2026 to a dazzling close. Over two marathon nights of spectacle, the twelve elite schools of the "Special Group" transformed the Sambadrome into a riot of colour.
Peru’s Congress has voted to censure and remove José Enrique Jeri Ore from his posts as President of Congress and acting President of the Republic, just four months into his tenure, citing undisclosed meetings with Chinese businessmen and alleged hiring irregularities.
France celebrated Olympic gold in the men’s biathlon relay in Anterselva on Tuesday (17 February), following a thrilling race marked by an electric atmosphere at the stadium.
Qarabağ FK are facing Newcastle United in the UEFA Champions League play-off round on Wednesday evening in Baku, in what will be the first UEFA competition meeting between the two clubs.
Iranian officials say more than 300 undocumented Afghan migrants have been rescued after being stranded in cold and rain near the border district of Taybad, in the northeastern Razavi Khorasan province.
Kazakhstan has entered the world’s top 50 economies by GDP in 2026, ranking 50th with a projected nominal output of $320 billion. The result reflects sustained growth, structural reforms and the country’s rising role as a regional economic hub.
U.S. President Donald Trump’s 'Board of Peace' will hold its first leaders’ meeting on Thursday (19 February) in Washington, D.C., launching an initiative aimed at stabilising Gaza and addressing global conflicts. It's drawn support from regional powers but refusals from several EU countries.
The United Nations Security Council has expressed deep concern over Israel’s plans to expand control in the West Bank, warning the move threatens the prospects of a two-state solution.
Israel is preparing for the possibility of receiving a green light from the United States to launch strikes against Iran’s ballistic missile system, according to Israel’s public broadcaster KAN.
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said on Wednesday that $5 billion pledged by member states of the Gaza Peace Council will be directed towards the reconstruction of Gaza.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment