Iran designates EU naval and air forces as ‘terrorist entities’ in reciprocal move
Iran announced on Saturday that it has designated the naval and air forces of European Union member states as “terrorist entities” in a reciprocal...
Six wildfires tearing through Los Angeles have destroyed over 1,100 buildings, claimed at least five lives, and displaced countless residents, including several prominent Hollywood figures.
The affluent Pacific Palisades, home to numerous celebrities, has been severely impacted by the fires, which began on Tuesday. On Wednesday, a new blaze erupted in Runyon Canyon, prompting immediate evacuations in Hollywood Hills.
Among the affected is Billy Crystal, 76, who confirmed losing his Pacific Palisades residence of 46 years. Crystal expressed heartbreak, noting, “Every inch of our house was filled with love... but with the support of our children and friends, we will get through this.”
Actor Eugene Levy, honorary mayor of Pacific Palisades, also lost his home. Meanwhile, actor Cary Elwes reported that his Malibu property had been destroyed, but his family had safely evacuated. Paris Hilton, whose Malibu home held cherished family memories, described the devastation as "unimaginable."
Other celebrities affected include Mandy Moore, John Goodman, James Woods, and Diane Warren, all of whom shared their sorrow while commending firefighters and first responders. Jamie Lee Curtis noted that while her home survived, her local sobriety meeting church was reduced to ashes.
The wildfires have brought the entertainment industry to a halt. The Academy extended voting deadlines for the Oscars, and the Critics Choice Awards have been postponed.
US President Joe Biden has declared a federal disaster, enabling funding for temporary housing and property repairs. Experts attribute the growing severity of wildfires to climate change, which has extended wildfire seasons globally by two weeks on average.
As Los Angeles grapples with the aftermath, the resilience of affected communities and individuals shines through amidst the devastation.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
At least four people have died and 17 others were injured after a liquid gas truck overturned and exploded in Santiago, Chile’s capital, authorities confirmed on Thursday. Police said the driver was among those killed.
Cubans are increasingly turning to solar power to keep businesses operating and basic household appliances running during prolonged electricity cuts, as fuel shortages make diesel generators and other temporary solutions more difficult and costly to maintain.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Eric Dane, the actor best known for his roles in 'Grey’s Anatomy' and 'Euphoria', died on Thursday, at the age of 53 after a battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). His family confirmed his death after what they described as a “courageous battle” with ALS.
Iran announced on Saturday that it has designated the naval and air forces of European Union member states as “terrorist entities” in a reciprocal move after the EU blacklisted the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).
At least 10 people were killed and 50 wounded in Israeli strikes in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley on Friday (20 February), two security sources told Reuters, after the Israeli military said it had targeted Hezbollah sites in the Baalbek area.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on Saturday (21 February) dismissed U.S. claims that 32,000 civilians were killed during protests in Iran. He said Tehran has already released official figures and called for evidence to support any higher estimates.
Uzbekistan's president Shavkat Mirziyoyev has held a series of high-level meetings in the U.S. aimed at strengthening bilateral economic and strategic ties between the two countries.
Türkiye has signalled readiness to contribute to a proposed Gaza stabilisation force during the inaugural Board of Peace meeting on Thursday (19 February), but according to former Turkish diplomat Mehmet Öğütçü, the decisive factor will be whether Israel and the United States agree on Ankara’s role.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment