Business Europe: Barcelona, tokenisation and the future of finance
AnewZ Business Europe, a new weekday programme, takes viewers inside companies driving growth and innovati...
Syria has called for international action after an Israeli drone strike hit a civilian vehicle near Damascus, warning that continued Israeli attacks could deepen instability and put civilians at greater risk.
The Syrian Foreign Ministry said the strike took place in Beit Jinn, in the western Damascus countryside, and injured several people. State news agency SANA reported that one person was injured.
“This attack constitutes a flagrant violation of Syrian sovereignty and territorial integrity, as well as a blatant breach of international law,” the ministry said.
Damascus said Israel would be “fully responsible” for the consequences of continued attacks and urged the United Nations Security Council and the wider international community to intervene.
Israel’s military said the person targeted in the strike posed “an immediate threat” to its forces operating in the area.
The Israeli statement came amid a wider pattern of military activity inside Syria. Days earlier, Israeli aircraft carried out eight strikes on the runway of Abu al-Duhur airbase in Idlib province, according to SANA, causing damage to the site.
The latest strike comes against the backdrop of major changes in Syria since the fall of Bashar al-Assad’s government in late 2024.
Israel has occupied most of the Golan Heights since 1967. After Assad’s fall, Israel said the 1974 disengagement agreement had effectively collapsed and moved troops into the demilitarised buffer zone, as well as areas around Mount Hermon on the Syrian side.
Since then, Israel has carried out repeated strikes across Syria, targeting weapons depots, missile sites and other military infrastructure.
Israel has said its operations are aimed at preventing weapons and military capabilities from falling into the hands of hostile armed groups and at protecting its forces and border.
Syria’s Foreign Ministry said repeated Israeli operations risked creating a wider cycle of escalation.
It urged the international community and the Security Council “to shoulder their legal and political responsibilities” and work to stop what it described as Israel’s repeated violations of Syrian sovereignty.
The warning comes as Syria faces the difficult task of rebuilding its security institutions and infrastructure after more than a decade of war, while tensions along its borders remain high.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role in the country.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 21st of August, covering the latest developments.
Pakistan says it has added 12 sites to its UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List, taking the total from 25 to 37 and widening the country's roster of potential future nominations.
Uzbekistan and Georgia have launched an electronic permit system for international road freight, replacing paper documents in a move aimed at speeding up cross-border transport and cutting bureaucracy.
Kazakhstan accounts for 45% of Central Asia’s road and rail infrastructure investment, with around $32.3 billion committed as the region expands key transport links across Eurasia.
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role in the country.
Google has committed $500,000 to a new digital safety programme in Pakistan, as debate grows over how to protect children from online risks and whether access to social media should be restricted.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment